Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Are game camras that good? >

Are game camras that good?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Are game camras that good?

Old 01-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are game camras that good?

How good are they for hunting?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:50 AM

Default RE: Are game camras that good?

They are not for hunting. They are for information. They can tell you a little bit about your deer population. Average size, buck to doe ratio, percentage of yearlings to mature deer, or what bucks may be traveling through your hunting land. Each camera you have out will provide you with a sampeling of this type of info. But you cannot use them for hunting, per say, because the camera cannot guarantee that any particular deer will be at that spot at any particular time on any given day.

I saw 7 different , good , bucks on one of my cameras. Not one of them showed up when I was onthestand that covered that area.

But if used for the right reasons, for information, they can be a great asset.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

For hunting, there is not guarantees but it's better than no information at all. You will at least see some of the bucks in your area. You may also see that a buck is a regular in a particular spot. I have pictures of bucks that I have never laid eyes on and I have pictures of bucks that I late shot.

I really enjoy using them and have gone a little overboard with them.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

They really aren't for "hunting" for me. I mean, don't expect to set up a trail cam, check it one week andpick the buck out that you want and then simply sit there and wait. I promise you, it's NOTHING like that!

They are more to gather info about what bucks are alive in the area, what your areas sex ratios look like, the ratio of mature deer to immature deer. A ton of info can be gained. For no other reason that just trying to collect some beautiful photos of wildlife on your property, I'm as addicted to trail cams as I am to hunting itself.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Trail cameras are great, if you use them for what they are, an education tool. Like many others above have said, use it to gather evidence on the animal in question. Look for patterns. As an example, you have found a well traveled trail or feeding area and thinking of hunting that area. But after you put out the camera, the only pictures you get are at night, not one day pic. This would show you that area would not be very good (not saying tha tyou would not be successful if you hunted there) and you might want to look further down the trail, closer to the bedding area.

Now about white flash or IR (infra red) cameras, many people will claim that a white flash camera will spook deer, but honestly, I feel that they will not spook all the deer, but some will be spooked. I use IR because I feel that if my camera changes the pattern or habits of just one deer, it is one less deer on that trail.

Good luck.