Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Moultrie external battery thingy >

Moultrie external battery thingy

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Moultrie external battery thingy

Old 11-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Moultrie external battery thingy

i just recently got a 1 gig card for my moultrie 2.1 mp camera, and it can hold somewhere near 6500 pics on standard res, or 1400 videos, but im still using the rechargable 6 volt batteries. i was wondering if there was a way to hook the camera up to a car battery or something bigger than a 6V just so it wouldnt drain the camera leaving a ton of memory unused. This camera doesnt have an external battery hookup, but has the internal alligator clips. would it damage the camera to just hook wires from the car battery to the alligator clips? the reason im wondering is i would most likely be leaving the camera out up north this winter, and sometimes we dont get up there for 4-5 weeks, and id hate to miss somethin because the battery dies after 2. thanks for any help.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Moultrie external battery thingy

I see no problem on hooking up and external battery as long as it's 6 volt.
I would drill a hole amd run the wires up through the bottom to keep rain/water from entering.

I am running Cabela's 4.1's with rechargable 4.5ah batteries and solar chargers. I just checked 2 of them and in 10 days one took 1100 pics and the other 1800. The camera that took the 1100 pictures had a charge of 99% according to the camera and the camera that took 1800 pics had a battery charge of 66%, this was due to the solar chargerwires coming off . They do take alot of flash pictures also. They have been working great for me. A note though, these are in the warm climates of South Texas
Old 11-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

so what you're sayin is that hookin it up to a 12V battery is a big no no? the batteries i have now are 6V 4.5a, and was hopin i could just hook it up to a bigger battery rather than buy a solar charger. do they make 6V batteries w/ bigger capacities? does any1 from the northern climates know of anything i could do to prevent the battery from freezing or not working as desired in really cold temperatures? maybe a snowmobile battery? thanks for the help doubleA
Old 12-01-2006, 08:11 AM

id say a solar charger wold work best because putting to much energy into it i think would kill the camera but im talkin for sw texas so im sorry that im no help
Old 12-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: doubleA

I see no problem on hooking up and external battery as long as it's 6 volt.
I would drill a hole amd run the wires up through the bottom to keep rain/water from entering.

I am running Cabela's 4.1's with rechargable 4.5ah batteries and solar chargers. I just checked 2 of them and in 10 days one took 1100 pics and the other 1800. The camera that took the 1100 pictures had a charge of 99% according to the camera and the camera that took 1800 pics had a battery charge of 66%, this was due to the solar chargerwires coming off . They do take alot of flash pictures also. They have been working great for me. A note though, these are in the warm climates of South Texas
doubleA...could you post all the hardware you use / have and approximate costs? I am wanting to get a camera that uses solar power to recharge batteries in the field and would like to know a little more about your setup! Thanks!
Old 12-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Spike

I am using 6 volt kids power wheels rechargable batterys with mine works great and cheap 32 bucksfor 2 on e-bay
Old 12-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

I drilled a hole in the bottom of my Moultrie's case to bring the solar panel clips in. You do have to watch out for ants getting in after you do that.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

I may have to check into a solar charger. i just checked my camera after it was out for a total of 3 nights,with temperatures below freezing,and the display said "battery low". it had taken 0 pictures and was pretty disappointing. where did you get your solar charger?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schobs
where did you get your solar charger?
You can get them at Cabela's, Bass Pro, Academy, and I have also seen them at Wal-mart in the past.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:22 AM

Let me understand this. If I were too get a solar powered battery charger and hook it up to a 6volt batter it would keep that battery charged. Will it work with any battery or does it need to be a rechargeable battery. If so I will defnitly be trying to set this up. Well after I get a new camera since i found out yesterday that mine was stolen. Great topic... thanks for any info in advance.

Quick Reply: Moultrie external battery thingy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.