Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Soaking a ramrod dowl.

Old 03-16-2024, 12:46 PM
Spike

Default Soaking a ramrod dowl.

I'm making a ramrod from a hickory dowl rod. I have it sanded down to the size I need and checked for grain runout, and everything is good to go but I'm debating on whether or not to soak it for a few weeks. I've read pro and cons but thought I'd get a few opinions. what ya all think, worth soaking or good to go as is?
Old 03-17-2024, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

I soak my hickory ram rods in a capped PVC pipe with kerosene when the guns are in the safe. The rods remain flexible, and can be bent quite a bit before they break. Been doing this for over 30 years with no issues.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:07 AM
Spike

Thanks! I have a PVC tube and the end cap and screw off cap but was holding off until I got a few replies from some members.

Last edited by tjb55; 03-17-2024 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54
I soak my hickory ram rods in a capped PVC pipe with kerosene when the guns are in the safe. The rods remain flexible, and can be bent quite a bit before they break. Been doing this for over 30 years with no issues.
Doesn't the kerosene stink? why not just soak in water?
I've never done it so I'm just asking.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

The kerosene penetrates the wood fibers and keeps them flexible. Water would soften the wood and cause it to break more easily.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

You did not answer Bronco's question! does or does not kerosene sting in the wood after the ramrod was soaked. Kerosene has a strong and long lasting oror!
Old 03-23-2024, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

Can't say that i noticed the smell. My sniffer doesn't work that good. I haven't had any issues using the kerosene soaked ram rods when deer hunting, but then again I try to watch the wind as much as possible.