Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

new to black powder shooting

Old 02-20-2024, 12:22 PM
Spike

Default new to black powder shooting

A few years back I acquired a T/C Cherokee in 45 cal. and decided to start shooting. and hunting with it. I worked a good load with a patched round ball but was reading that a 45 cal is light for deer. I'm now getting ready to switch to Maxi ball. Anyone else shooting maxi with a 45 cal. Cherokee and if so, how do like it?
Old 02-20-2024, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tjb55
A few years back I acquired a T/C Cherokee in 45 cal. and decided to start shooting. and hunting with it. I worked a good load with a patched round ball but was reading that a 45 cal is light for deer. I'm now getting ready to switch to Maxi ball. Anyone else shooting maxi with a 45 cal. Cherokee and if so, how do like it?
WOW TJ ! You have been a member here since 2009 and this is your 1st post ? Whats The Matter With You ! LOL

Ok so when a bunch of us started muzzy hunting , 3 of the gang bought the TC Cherokee 45's . They used maxi balls but cant remember the grain size of the bullet or how many grains of powder . The powder we all used was the loose Pyrodex . They all killed deer with the 45 cal Cherokee with no issue . My gun was the TC White Mountain Carbine 50cal using 90grains of Pyrodex with a 350 grain Maxi Hunter bullet. That load would blow a hole right through a deer. Biggest buck I shot with it was a 235lb 9 point . He only ran 40 yards with a massive blood trail. I also shot a 193lb big 8pt at 110 yards with a big exit hole . He went maybe 65 yards with the same load.. I had a bunch eith drop right on the spot and a few go less than 30 feet . The side locks were alot of fun to hunt with. I dont remember any of us ever losing a deer using them.. Since then , we all moved on to the inline TC Encores using sabots ..

Last edited by SportsmanNH; 02-20-2024 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:43 AM
Spike

lolol would you believe I got sidetracked for a few years. I just saw a post on another site that a member there was wanting to sell or trade a TC White Mountain Carbine 50cal for other black powder guns and on the list, he was willing to trade for was TC Cherokee in 45 cal. If the one I have didn't have sentimental value, I would have jumped on it. I'm in Pa. and the only time we can use side locks or in lines is during the early doe season or during the regular rifle season. Thanks for your reply.!