Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Another run with the .45 Hoyt rebarrel >

Another run with the .45 Hoyt rebarrel

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Another run with the .45 Hoyt rebarrel

Old 06-08-2022, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Another run with the .45 Hoyt rebarrel

Today I was shooting Ed's 340 gr I bullets at 50 and 100 yards. I took Ed's recommendation and dropped my charge down to 60 gr. It made a world of difference. Right at 1" at 50 yards and 1.25" at 100 yards. Additional shots near the center were sighting in of my 22 LR.
I sure can't argue about how the rifle is shooting. With peep sights I don't think I can shoot much better than that.
Attached Thumbnails Another run with the .45 Hoyt rebarrel-hoyt-50-yards.jpg   Another run with the .45 Hoyt rebarrel-hoyt-100-yards.jpg  

Last edited by bronko22000; 06-09-2022 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're probably getting something like 1200 f.p.s. with that load. Plenty of energy to smack the snot out of anything withing reasonable iron sight hunting range.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
You're probably getting something like 1200 f.p.s. with that load. Plenty of energy to smack the snot out of anything withing reasonable iron sight hunting range.
I'm sure of that Semi but I'm thinking of lowering the sight a tad and have it shooting dead on at 100 because with this setting I'm 6" high at 50.. Or, I can leave it like this and be good on a dead center hold from 75 out to about 125. I'll just hold at 6 O'clock for 50 and closer. What do you think?
Old 06-19-2022, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

That'll work if you're comfortable with it. I tend to go for a dead-on setting for the near shots and holdover for longer shots. No particular reason for that other than that's what I'm used to, and most of my shots are in the 75-yard range or less.

It may be that the nearer shot situations tend to have short heart pounding windows of opportunity and I don't want to have to think about adjusting my hold, while long shot situations usually provide more time to think about appropriate holdover. On the other hand, using a 6 O'clock hold for shorter shots gives you a better sight picture than does the holdover approach for longer shots..

Last edited by Semisane; 06-19-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by trangnext
Bán hàng đa kênh đang là xu hướng bán hàng mà hầu như đơn vị kinh doanh nào cũng cần sử dụng.

Cách thức tiếp cận khách hàng này không chỉ hiệu quả đối với doanh nghiệp mà ngay cả những người bán hàng tự do cũng phù hợp. Hiện nay, trên thị trường có vô vàn phần mềm bán hàng đa kênh giúp quản lư vô cùng hiệu quả.

Hăy để PosX giúp bạn lựa chọn cho ḿnh một công cụ tối ưu nhất, một trở thủ đắc lực nhất nhé!
Well said Trang.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:23 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
That'll work if you're comfortable with it. I tend to go for a dead-on setting for the near shots and holdover for longer shots. No particular reason for that other than that's what I'm used to, and most of my shots are in the 75-yard range or less.

It may be that the nearer shot situations tend to have short heart pounding windows of opportunity and I don't want to have to think about adjusting my hold, while long shot situations usually provide more time to think about appropriate holdover. On the other hand, using a 6 O'clock hold for shorter shots gives you a better sight picture than does the holdover approach for longer shots..
Clem, I agree, I would do the same.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess you guys convinced me. That sounds like a better solution as most of my shots are also within 75 yards. With that load, if I'm dead on at 50 yards I will only be 4" low at 100. I can live with that. Even a better solution would be to sight in 2" high at 50 and have a center hold out to 100 and not worry about hold under/over at all.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:11 AM
Typical Buck

Clem, that would work just fine. I sight my ML's to be dead on at 75yds. Generally, my bullets hit about 1.5-2" high at 50 and about the same but low at 100. I carry one of those old portable plastic MTM target stands and set it up at 75 yds. as my range does not have a 75yd target setup.