Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

45 cal green mountain barre

Old 07-24-2019, 07:21 PM
  #1  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 199
Default 45 cal green mountain barre

He guys and gals, I was just cleaning out the gun safe and found a 45 cal lrh green mountain barrel i purchased many years ago for my Thomson center renegade, never did put it on, just shoved it back in the safe and forgot about it. Just wondering what it might be worth, and if their is still a market for something like this ?
steviebiggun is offline  
Old 07-24-2019, 09:08 PM
  #2  
Fork Horn
 
Idaholewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 400
Default

Originally Posted by steviebiggun View Post
He guys and gals, I was just cleaning out the gun safe and found a 45 cal lrh green mountain barrel i purchased many years ago for my Thomson center renegade, never did put it on, just shoved it back in the safe and forgot about it. Just wondering what it might be worth, and if their is still a market for something like this ?
Yep there is DEFINITELY stil a Market for them, Is yours Blued or Stainless? Is it 1” or 15/16” Across the Flats? Blued Barrels in new, like new Condition run in the 200-250 Range, A Stainless might fetch 300

I have several of these Barrels, .45, .50, and even 1 .54 LRH, When in a Hawken, or a Renegade Stock, and Setup with a Tang Peep sight and Globe Front sight, they are 1 of my VERY Favorite Muzzleloaders

Last edited by Idaholewis; 07-24-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Idaholewis is offline  
Old 07-25-2019, 03:06 PM
  #3  
Boone & Crockett
 
bronko22000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,905
Default

Yes sir. They're worth a good buck. I've seen them on Ebay for over $300. Everyone is obsessed with the .50 cal since the movie Jeremiah Johnson but those in the know enjoy shooting those GM fast twist .45 cal barrels.
bronko22000 is offline  
Old 07-25-2019, 04:18 PM
  #4  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 458
Talking

Originally Posted by bronko22000 View Post
Yes sir. They're worth a good buck. I've seen them on Ebay for over $300. Everyone is obsessed with the .50 cal since the movie Jeremiah Johnson but those in the know enjoy shooting those GM fast twist .45 cal barrels.
Amazing how many of us are in the know!!
edmehlig is offline  
Old 07-28-2019, 07:43 PM
  #5  
Boone & Crockett
 
sabotloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,609
Default

Originally Posted by bronko22000 View Post
Yes sir. They're worth a good buck. I've seen them on Ebay for over $300. Everyone is obsessed with the .50 cal since the movie Jeremiah Johnson but those in the know enjoy shooting those GM fast twist .45 cal barrels.
You know I was going to say the GM drop-in LRH in 45 is not really a fast twist barrel but then again it if you are comparing it to the PRB 45 cal. barrels, it really is. The GM LRH is a 1-30 twist which is not really that fast as compared to the demand for faster twist 45 barrels of today...
sabotloader is offline  
Old 07-28-2019, 08:21 PM
  #6  
Fork Horn
 
Idaholewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 400
Default

Originally Posted by sabotloader View Post
You know I was going to say the GM drop-in LRH in 45 is not really a fast twist barrel but then again it if you are comparing it to the PRB 45 cal. barrels, it really is. The GM LRH is a 1-30 twist which is not really that fast as compared to the demand for faster twist 45 barrels of today...
I have always wondered why Green Mountain chose 1:30 Twist for their .45 Cal LRH when Their .50 and .54 Cal LRH is 1:28 Twist? Why change the .45 Cal? The .54 LRH would have made the most sense

I have 3 of these 1:30 Twist GM .45 LRH Barrels, A Recently acquired Stainless, and 2 Blued. I have shot 1 of my Blued Barrels a TON, It has always shot DARN GOOD for me!! That said, My 1:20s Outshoot the 30 Twist

Last edited by Idaholewis; 07-28-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Idaholewis is offline  
Old 07-29-2019, 07:20 AM
  #7  
Boone & Crockett
 
sabotloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,609
Default

Originally Posted by Idaholewis View Post


I have always wondered why Green Mountain chose 1:30 Twist for their .45 Cal LRH when Their .50 and .54 Cal LRH is 1:28 Twist? Why change the .45 Cal? The .54 LRH would have made the most sense


The biggest reason GM went with the 1-30 twist was because of the bullets and the sabots available at that time. The torque created by the faster twist rate was just to fast for the Polymer sabots of the time to handle - so they would destroy themselves in the bore. Accuracy was terrible With the creation of the new Polymer formulas that has really strengthened the sabot they can with stand the twist.

This picture show a recovered White Power Star sabot recovered after shooting...




I have 3 of these 1:30 Twist GM .45 LRH Barrels, A Recently acquired Stainless, and 2 Blued. I have shot 1 of my Blued Barrels a TON, It has always shot DARN GOOD for me!! That said, My 1:20s Outshoot the 30 Twist
sabotloader is offline  
Old 07-30-2019, 03:58 PM
  #8  
Fork Horn
 
Idaholewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 400
Default

Originally Posted by sabotloader View Post
The biggest reason GM went with the 1-30 twist was because of the bullets and the sabots available at that time. The torque created by the faster twist rate was just to fast for the Polymer sabots of the time to handle - so they would destroy themselves in the bore. Accuracy was terrible With the creation of the new Polymer formulas that has really strengthened the sabot they can with stand the twist.
Ok, this makes GOOD Sense why, I have always wondered? I know almost NOTHING about Sabots, That is 1 area i have NEVER played in, to try and learn anyway, I have shot a Few over the last few years, But VERY Few. I never could get interested in them? Itís FULL Bore ALL the Way for me! I donít like that ďLinkĒ Between the Powder and Bullet. I will say the ones that Chet and i Shot in his new Knight U-Lite were Very Accurate, iirc they were called 260 Dead Centers?
Idaholewis is offline  
Old 07-30-2019, 09:50 PM
  #9  
Boone & Crockett
 
sabotloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,609
Default

Originally Posted by Idaholewis View Post


Ok, this makes GOOD Sense why, I have always wondered? I know almost NOTHING about Sabots, That is 1 area i have NEVER played in, to try and learn anyway, I have shot a Few over the last few years, But VERY Few. I never could get interested in them? Itís FULL Bore ALL the Way for me! I donít like that ďLinkĒ Between the Powder and Bullet. I will say the ones that Chet and i Shot in his new Knight U-Lite were Very Accurate, iirc they were called 260 Dead Centers?
Or were they the Lehigh .458x260 Sabotless that I gave him.



sabotloader is offline  
Old 07-31-2019, 04:34 AM
  #10  
Fork Horn
 
Idaholewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 400
Default

No, they were DEFINITELY Sabots, But I was actually wrong, We didn’t shoot those in His new U-Lite, We shot the Dead Center Saboted Bullets in the Ole White Super 91 that i Traded Chet, We Shot my 350 Grain Lead Conicals in the New Knight U-Lite (Bullets i poured from Forum member Harleysbosses Mold)

I Remember we didn’t feel like we had enough of the Lehigh bullets you sent for Load development, and for Chet to Bear Hunt with. That is why we went with my Full Bore Lead, i had LOTS of those.
Idaholewis is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.