Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Bear rifle option this year

Old 11-12-2018, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Bear rifle option this year

I was tossing and turning what rifle I was going to take up to bear camp this year. But after the last shooting session I think my choice is clear. Looks like its going to be my T/C Renegade/GM barreled .58. I don't think anyone can disagree with me as far as accuracy goes. And I think the .58 round ball is more than capable of knocking the snot out of any black bear.
Attached Thumbnails Bear rifle option this year-58-rene-001-copy.jpg  
Old 11-12-2018, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Id certainly have no qualms about that choice, its obviously accurate enough,
just be sure you place the shot in the heart/lung area, if broadside or
neck/shoulder if 1/4 facing you at closer ranges

Last edited by hardcastonly; 11-12-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

yeah buddy that's some fine shooting. next year i want to make it back down to pa for bear.i also plan on using a muzzleloader @ that time . this year in ohio for gun week i plan on using a muzzleloader for deer. nothing better than the one shot 1 kill. i have plenty of legal rifles & handgun's for oh. but i just enjoy muzzleloading instead. good luck bronko. bear opens on this coming saturday . correct ? also i believe there is a artic blast coming this weekend. & the week after thanksgiving they are talking a major warm up. yeah just great deer gun week will be wearing shades & shorts & a tee shirt. that's ok i 'm going to turn 60 here during gun week . i'm getting to the point where i would rather hunt warm than cold weather. but i do have plenty enough of excellant cold weather gear

Last edited by t.shaffer; 11-12-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

[QUOTE=hardcastonly;4346478]Id certainly have no qualms about that choice, its obviously accurate enough,
just be sure you place the shot in the heart/lung area, if broadside or
neck/shoulder if 1/4 facing you at closer ranges

Thanks Hardcast. I've taken several bear and know where to place my shot. And what I've found that they aren't very hard to kill when you put the projectile in the right spot. It seems to me that bear do not have the tenacity deer have with hanging onto life! I never had a bear go farther than 30 yards after a well placed shot. And I've had deer go 75 yards with a hole in its heart!
Old 11-12-2018, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Wish I was coming with y'all again this year! That's some good shooting!

What's that rifle weigh? You may need a helicopter to lift it to the top of the mountain.

-Jake
Old 11-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Wish I was coming with y'all again this year! That's some good shooting!

What's that rifle weigh? You may need a helicopter to lift it to the top of the mountain.

-Jake
LMAO Jake! Yea that thought did cross my mind. Well if you know how much a Renegade weighs add another half pound for the longer barrel. Probably up there around 9 - 10 lbs.
But at least it ain't as heavy as one of my other choices - My Pedersoli 1874 Sharps (Quigley model) That thing makes the Renegade feel like a lightweight!
I'll just take my time and take a sloooooooow walk up the side of the mtn. I crawled around several areas of the rockies in Idaho and Montana and those places weren't as bad as those sidehills around the camp.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a dang nice 100 yard group Bronko. It should be a "see bear/dead bear" situation if you can manage to get your old butt up the mountain. Good luck buddy.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
That's a dang nice 100 yard group Bronko. It should be a "see bear/dead bear" situation if you can manage to get your old butt up the mountain. Good luck buddy.
Thanks Semi....Yeah it surprised the heck out of me that it shot even better than my scoped Accura. The Rene does have a peep but still and all. Maybe it was just luck but I was tickled pink with it.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well with the weather we got and the forecast it looks like plans for a bear hunt at the camp are diminishing fast. Today we got rain, then freezing rain, 7" snow and now more rain on top of all that. Then tomorrow after all that refreezes, more snow! And the approx 7 miles of unmaintained dirt road from the hardtop to the cabin would surely be a joy to try and drive on. Not to mention the 30+ foot drops on the downhill side and a creek to forge.
I have faith in my driving skills and my Dodge truck but I don't think I would risk it without a winch on it just in case. Ain't no bear worth that much.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

I was wondering if you were going to try to get up there still with this weather. Nasty here too!

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.