Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Interesting concept!!

Old 08-06-2018, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Interesting concept!!

Want an inexpensive way to convert your flinter over to a caplock? (well sort of) Check this out on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flintlock-C...itleDesc=0%7C0
Old 08-06-2018, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

I'd worry about the weight of that striker block in the jaws. Might cause some issues with the hammer or the jaws snapping. They aren't made for stoppage against anything, the frizzen moves away. Direct impact could very well cause breakage.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

My first though was "well, that's one gun gadget I'll never own".

My second thought was "why would you want to convert a flinter to a caplock anyway?".
Old 08-07-2018, 08:29 AM
Banned

exactly, most folks want to convert a cap lock to a flintlock lol
Old 08-12-2018, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

This is the 1st that I've seen of it.
The cocks on older TC flinters had somewhat of a geometry problem which ate flints up pretty fast.
TC was issuing newly designed cocks for their older guns for a time but don't know if they still do or not.
If the ignition is relatively direct, then it's a win-win for TC flintlock owners.
It's still cheaper than buying a new barrel, and may relieve some flintlock shooters from what may be the burden of needing to basically only use BP.
Imagine a TC flinter being passed down along to a family member who doesn't like flinters, or isn't experienced enough, but is willing to shoot a cap gun.
And a device like that could save someone's hunting season.
Considering how easy it is to set off a cap, I don't see much risk of damage to the cock by using this device.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by arcticap; 08-13-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunters_life
I'd worry about the weight of that striker block in the jaws. Might cause some issues with the hammer or the jaws snapping. They aren't made for stoppage against anything, the frizzen moves away. Direct impact could very well cause breakage.
Hi All , a friend had to take his original double barrel flint fowling piece into the police station for verification ??? , it was then transferred to police headquarters where it was kept for about 3 months before it was returned with both hammers broken and without the pieces as well , which could have been welded back on leaving no scars but no such luck and no apologies either , real vandalism of a family heirloom