Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

.50 Renegade

Old 09-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Spike

Default .50 Renegade

Hi all

Been a while since I have posted. Have a .50 Renegade barrel that the barrel gets looser 2" before the breech plug. My concern is it is bulged. Exterior does not show anything but running a patch down it certainly gets easier 2" or so before the breech plug. Thoughts please.

Mark
Old 09-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

If a straight edge placed along all of the flats on that part of the barrel does not show a bulge I would not be concerned. Could be the original tooling caused that condition, or a bit of metal loss due to a previous rust or corrosion condition in that section. None of that should cause any accuracy problems or strength concerns. The powder charge and projectile pretty much fills that 2" of barrel at the breech.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:09 AM
Spike

I have ran a straight edge and the flats are flat. I didn't think it was a big deal but wanted expert opinion, thank you!
Old 09-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

As Semisane said, it's doubtful that you have a problem. If your exterior flats are still flat, then you either have a small tooling flaw or again like Semisane stated, some interior metal loss due to corrosion. That is actually an area that is common for that. If you have an auto parts store close by that rents/loans tools, see if they have a small bore micrometer set. My set was made for rifles and goes all the way down to 5mm. It goes up to 6 inches deep so you could get measurements before and after the larger section for comparison. The pin heads may or may not be small enough to check groove depth on one from an auto parts place but you could still check bore.