Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

OK... What would you do if....??

Old 03-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default OK... What would you do if....??

This thread was prompted by another member...

IF...you were given a set amount of cash, let's say $1000, AND you were given the ability to travel back in time (any time) prior to 1900...

What would you be looking to buy? With the intent of spending your alloted $$ and knowing that you'd be bringing your booty back home with you to the present time?

BPS
Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

If restricted to firearms, and I could bring them back with me in new pristine condition, A couple of J&S Hawken originals (made by THEM). Matched pair of SAA Colts (factory custom matched of course). An original Christian Sharps .52 cal. and then one from each category following up to 1881. That would probably do my $1000 in about there.

If not restricted to firearms, every ounce of Gold I could get my hands on! $1000 of gold prior to 1900 would be a nice solid payday now!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would buy quality real estate and bring back deeds.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by idahoron
i would buy quality real estate and bring back deeds.
ditto !!!!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
If restricted to firearms, and I could bring them back with me in new pristine condition, A couple of J&S Hawken originals (made by THEM). Matched pair of SAA Colts (factory custom matched of course). An original Christian Sharps .52 cal. and then one from each category following up to 1881. That would probably do my $1000 in about there.

If not restricted to firearms, every ounce of Gold I could get my hands on! $1000 of gold prior to 1900 would be a nice solid payday now!
Factory engraved colt revolver (s), hawken rifle and trapper pistol made by the Hawken shop.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

A $1,000 chunk of AT&T.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

If this was restricted to firearms, I too would be after some original Hawken rifles, colt pistols, sharps rifles, original Winchester lever action rifles, Spencer carbines, just the things that on today's market sell for the very top dollar and sell quickly. Purchase enough that you could keep one for yourself and then sell the others. You'd be wealthy!

And considering the value of a dollar back then compared to today, you'd have a huge amount of firearms that you'd be hauling back. For instance, I read somewhere that the original Winchester Model 76 rifle sold new for $32.00 . I watched a show the other day where a person had an original in mint condition and wanted $10,000.00 for it. Whether he got that or not who knows. But think of the investment opportunities you would have with that kind of merchandise.

This is a very hard question because there are so many rifles I would want to get. And things I would want to see! Think of all you could see and learn.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
..... original Winchester lever action rifles,......
1 of 100 or 1 of 1000 Winchester levers. Friend has a 1 of 100 in .44-40. List could get long but I would also start w/Colt revolvers. A Henry lever would also be welcome.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

just about what everyone else said. Mostly Colts and Winchesters from the late 1800s or property in the NE (like New York) in the 1700s.
But if it was more recent like my childhood days I would have grabbed all the Colt Pythons I could. I remember being about 15 or 16 and my friends dad worked in the local gun shop. He showed me one and said to me "who in the world would pay $127 for a revolver?" Little did we know...huh?
Old 03-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by idahoron
I would buy quality real estate and bring back deeds.
As much as I love guns, and there are some classics I would definitely love to have, I believe I'd have to agree with you on that one Ron!!

Although a Henry rifle fresh from the factory comes to mind, along with a Colt Walker.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 03-11-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.