Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Playing with some Pyrodex & St.louis Hawken todya >

Playing with some Pyrodex & St.louis Hawken todya

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Playing with some Pyrodex & St.louis Hawken todya

Old 02-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Banned

Default Playing with some Pyrodex & St.louis Hawken todya

Beautiful day and I figured I better do a little shooting.

I don't really use Pyrodex much anymore, but still have plenty of it in stock as its a good performing power and always has been for me.

I loaded up 80gr Pyrodex RS, .020" patches and .490" round ball and headed over to my 50 yard range.

First shot was dead on the money! Shots 2 and 3 were very close to each other and shot #4 had a slight hang fire as I am using the factory nipple. On a fouled bore, accuracy looks to be promising, just need to order a new knight redhot nipple to fix those hang fires and we'll see in good shape.

Just 4 shots, I later took the dog for a walk and didn't want to walk around on an empty barrel.

Patch from today,

Older patch that melted into the snow and was cleaned in the process. Just a good look at the weave of the patch and how it holds up.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice to see someone is getting out and doing some shooting. I have about 2 1/2 months to wait before I can get out again. I have to get some serious shooting in with my new .54 flinter, .58 caplock. And I also have to do some more playing with my Accura and that Black MZ.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Nice to see someone is getting out and doing some shooting. I have about 2 1/2 months to wait before I can get out again. I have to get some serious shooting in with my new .54 flinter, .58 caplock. And I also have to do some more playing with my Accura and that Black MZ.
Bronko...

What prompted you to go to Fla. for the winter in the first place? I seriously doubt it was a weather issue, you always enjoyed hunting our late ML season in January. I would go nutz down there with all those old people and their parents. Bingo and shuffle board just ain't my style. I might not shoot much this time of year but I certainly enjoy my ice fishin'!!

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 02-15-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:17 PM
Banned

he has hog hunting down there so thats another thing to grill him on and why hes not doing it. I think Clems an old feller going down there to find an old age home! Ahhh boy, imma pay for that.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
he has hog hunting down there so thats another thing to grill him on and why hes not doing it. I think Clems an old feller going down there to find an old age home! Ahhh boy, imma pay for that.
I'm sure the only "hog hunting" he does is on rib night at the all you can eat local buffet!! And yea... I'll probably pay for that one too!

BPS
Old 02-15-2017, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey guys, let up on old Bronko.

Sure, he's old. Sure he's a bit feeble. It does not matter that he can't seem to remember to bring a muzzleloader along when he goes to Florida, because he's likely incapable of finding a place to shoot while he's there for months on end (he gets lost a lot these days).

But that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve our respect. After all, he has that new .54 flinter and a .58 caplock, so he's one of us. And at least thinks about shooting. I understand he even got a neat "shooting aid" tattoo on his left wrist last month.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
I'm sure the only "hog hunting" he does is on rib night at the all you can eat local buffet!! And yea... I'll probably pay for that one too!

BPS
Probably even wears one those white straw hats with a chin strap and shorts with socks pulled up to his knees

Old 02-15-2017, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Knock it off guys. I have 2 places lined up for a hog hunt as soon as my freezer gets some room from all the moose and deer meat I brought down.
Anyway, I've been really busy replacing screens on the pool's screen enclosure. The ones on the "roof" are a bit tricky. And I just got done cutting sod and transplanting it for my neighbor (he's 82). This sod came from a 3' wide swath on 2 sides of his property and in that swath we planted 137 hedge plants and ran a sprinkler system for them.
And Barry, its true I do love the late ML season in PA. But I hate shoveling that white crap! I'd much rather sit here on my patio in the evening where it's 70* with a nice breeze sipping on a beer or cup of coffee.
As for the buffets - you bet. I hit up the Golden Corral about once a week. And I do get the senior discount......
Old 02-16-2017, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

This winter has been slow for me too. Just to cold and windy out there to sit and shoot on the range. I mean I made several trips out but there just was not that drive to do it this year. I finally shot my new .58 caliber Flintlock and was surprised, I couldn't load a .570 ball. Brand new box of Speer. Called the builder and he suggested get another box of ball and try it again. So I ordered a new box of Hornady, a .562 LEE ball mold, calipers, and a bunch of other stuff. If a .570 will not throat I will cast some .562 and use them.

I used to shrug off the cold like it was nothing. But as of late, the cold has been getting to me. I can understand why my folks bought a place in Mission Texas and became snow birds every year. Although for snow, I purchased a new 570 Polaris 4x4 ATV with a plow. And that is a snow pushing machine.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

My daughter moved to McKinney, TX last year. I'd never want to live there. Way too hot in the summer and the winter is horrible. The temps fluctuate so much my one grandson is sick at least once a month. We were down just before Christmas and one day it was close to 80* and an hour later the temp dropped down into the 40s. Crazy. Maybe there are areas where it's not so bad but not there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.