Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
NEW Traditions Prairie Hawken Rifle >

NEW Traditions Prairie Hawken Rifle

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

NEW Traditions Prairie Hawken Rifle

Old 01-06-2017, 07:18 PM
Banned

Default NEW Traditions Prairie Hawken Rifle

Was on muzzle-loaders website looking for a kentucky flinter pistol and ran across this instead :slaps:

Looks like there is a market for TRADITIONAL muzzleloaders afterall, otherwise, they would not be introducing new ones!

I REALLY like that rear sight! Thats awesome for my long range shooting I like to do now and then. BUT, I know I'll have to cut a new dovetail and move it forward a few inches. Knowing how to place my rear sight has really spoiled me

They also made them in flinter too. Looks like a fancier lock plate and a new frizzen spring design.

The Flintlock Traditions® Prairie Hawken Rifle is modeled after rifles used during the Rocky Mountain fur trading era of the 1830's. The Prairie™ Hawken rifle is an excellent addition to any shooters collection. These guns were the trusted companions of fur traders and trappers who roamed the rugged western frontier. The Prairie Hawken is a 2-tenon .50 caliber sidelock rifle with flintlock ignition.

The Prairie Hawken features a double-set trigger in an oversized glove-fitting, trigger-guard with finger rest. The rifle also comes complete with classic blackened sliver hardware and a 28" octagonal blued barrel. The rifle features a 1:48" twist and an overall length of 44.5" and 14.5" length of pull.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the looks of it... looks like their Mountain rifle without that doofy looking patchbox!

BPS
Old 01-06-2017, 08:03 PM
Banned

I REALLY hope they offer it in kit. I see some areas I would clean up for a slicker look. Along with some tiny brass tacks
Old 01-07-2017, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

nice lookin' rifle- but I'm a sucker for traditionals...

why no 1:60 twists???

probably, I'm the only one still spit patching my roundballs!
Old 01-07-2017, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

What about a .54 or a .58 for those who like the idea of a heavier round ball?
Old 01-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Banned

we'd all love a 54 or 58cal in this rifle or even the MR, but the hang up is, Ardesa wants a minimum order of 5,000 barrels before they'd do it.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I like the looks of it but I have to agree with some of the comments from the forum. Why not a .54 or even a .58 caliber? Some thing with a slow roundball twist. I have a ton of traditional rifles with 1-48 twist but I really value my round ball barrels much more. Not that the 1-48 do not shoot well. They do. But they are like all the cattle are black in color and then in walks a red one. That's the one for me.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
we'd all love a 54 or 58cal in this rifle or even the MR, but the hang up is, Ardesa wants a minimum order of 5,000 barrels before they'd do it.
It's obvious they're still trying to accomodate a traditional crowd or they wouldn't be bringing out new rifles. Their Marketing Director needs to wake up and smell the coffee! With the demand for, and subsequent lack of, big bore rifles in recent years, I seriously doubt they'd have any trouble selling .58 caliber rifles.
And how about offering a left hand version? I know they still make left hand locks because they still sell the Deerhunter and I believe the PA pellet rifle in left hand.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 01-07-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

We in Pa.might be the only state left with a strictly flinty season as for the popularity of flinty rifles.But I very seldom run into someone that has a interest in a percussion.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Banned

Very nice inlet pieces! Especially around the rear lock screw. The moon inlay is cool to. Its also a full tang set up like the original hawken style. The stock appears real beefy in the wrist, so that will be an interesting rifle to see in person. Black chrome finish on the furniture.
https://www.facebook.com/TraditionsP...6735800039727/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.