Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Flintlock powders-

Old 01-05-2017, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Real black powder has a lower ignition temperature than the subs...(Due to the sulfer)...This is why experienced flintlock shooters stick to the real thing...Thankfully, I live about an hour from a Goex distributor...I use FFF as the main charge in both my .40 and my .54 and have used both FFFF and FFF in the pan for both...When hunting, especially when damp and rainy I never use FFFF as the pan charge, I stick with FFF as it doesn't absorb moisture as readily...
Old 01-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Real black powder has a lower ignition temperature than the subs...(Due to the sulfer)...This is why experienced flintlock shooters stick to the real thing...Thankfully, I live about an hour from a Goex distributor...I use FFF as the main charge in both my .40 and my .54 and have used both FFFF and FFF in the pan for both...When hunting, especially when damp and rainy I never use FFFF as the pan charge, I stick with FFF as it doesn't absorb moisture as readily...

Glad you mentioned that nc...

I got into a P-ing contest with a member on another forum a few years back because I mentioned that while shooting on an extremely humid day one summer, I was having trouble with my pan powder going off so I tried 3f (which I was using for my main charge) and never had a problem afterward. The only problem I had was it wouldn't "trickle" from my pan charger because of the larger granulation, I had to put it in a small plastic bottle with a spout that I cut the tip open a bit so it could flow out.
Black powder is somewhat hygroscopic, meaning it can or will absorb moisture from the air. My simple experiment on that humid day proved that to me. 3f powder has larger granules, hence there's more oxygen in a given charge of powder in the pan than there is with 4f. Even if the powder does attract some moisture, there's still some oxygen trapped in the charge to help it go off.
Well... this fella all but called me a liar and we went back and forth until I finally said OK, you're right and I'm wrong and left it at that... but we both know the difference!

I use 4f for the most part because I still have 1/2 pound left from my last purchase back when Moses wore little pants, but from here on out... I have no problem with 3f either!!

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 01-05-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:17 PM
Banned

that reminds me, gotta pack an old ear plug to keep over my nipple while hunting!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
that reminds me, gotta pack an old ear plug to keep over my nipple while hunting!

Which one?

BPS
Old 01-05-2017, 06:29 PM
Banned

the right ear plug. It contains more waterproofing wax
Old 01-19-2017, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

Opinions are like internet connections- everybody has one....

with that thought in mind:

Goex?
Swiss?
Scheutzen?
???

edit to add: Grafs?

What say ye?

Last edited by ModernPrimitive; 01-20-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never liked 4F in the pan. As was said it sucks up moisture like a sponge and always find someplace to leak out when hunting.

I use Goex 3f for pan and main charge and get fast ignition. It also stays in the pan when hunting.

I buy from Graf's and Son. The more you buy the better the price, because it absorbs the HazMat fee.

I agree that T7 in the pan would be no ignition.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Do any of you all ever notice any difference in the flash upon ignition between 3 and 4F in the pan?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

I only use black powder. GOEX 3f for my main charge and GOEX 4f or Swiss Null B for prime. I order my powder from Powder Inc. ships to my front door Via Fed X.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have powder leaking out from your pan, you have a problem!!! Especially if it is leaking between the barrel and the lock, sooner or later you will blow the lock off that gun...Fix the problem!!! The pan should fit tight enough that powder doesn't leak out...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.