Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Green Mt Barrel question-

Old 12-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Question Green Mt Barrel question-

does anyone know how the .45 drop-ins for a T/C hawken were marked?

That is, if it is not stamped "LRH", is it the 1:70 twist rate by default?

Were there other twists beside those two??

Also, some had a very wide dovetail for some sort of primitive/fixed (non-adjustable) rear sight?

Last edited by ModernPrimitive; 12-20-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

You make an interesting post. I have three fast twist drop in 45 cal barrels. One is a 15/16" 1-30 twist stainless steel barrel. It is marked LRH. I have another one that is the same but it is 1" and it also says LRH.
My last one is a blued barrel 32" long it is a 1-18 twist it only says 45 cal.

I am don't have all the answers for you but it does seem that yes some of the fast twist 45's were not marked LRH.

This one is a LRH.

The Blued gun just says 45 cal.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, when you are ready to part with that .45 speedy twist, gimmi a jingle will ya?!!! I've seen how that bugger shoots!!!
Old 12-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 View Post
Ron, when you are ready to part with that .45 speedy twist, gimmi a jingle will ya?!!!
Fat Chance! Ron would sooner part with those body parts that are near and dear to us guys.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:43 AM
Typical Buck

Ron- you make an interesting post in that now I'm more than before!

I thought that the 32" barrels were strictly 1:70.

As an aside, what can you tell my about the triggers in your pics?
Old 12-21-2016, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

That 1-18 twist barrel was a very limited run and expensive if I remember right. I don't remember the actual count but it was very small. If I remember right the story was a group of long range shooters got GM to put these barrels out. They are actually a 1-18 twist .458 so they are a BPCR barrel that they made to work in a ML. Anyway I got wind of this unicorn and ordered one. I shot it quite a bit but that 1-18 twist wanted a longer heavier bullet. I picked up some 550 gr .442 paper patch bullets when I was at Buffalo arms last month. I think they have a lot of potential. I also have a couple platinum lined nipples to try with them.
I think there could be more unicorns in different flavors but I don't know about them. My stainless 45 is actually a .451 the .458 is a 32" barrel but like I said I would not base length and twist together when one is a unicorn.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 View Post
Ron, when you are ready to part with that .45 speedy twist, gimmi a jingle will ya?!!! I've seen how that bugger shoots!!!
If I had a dollar for every time that was said.
That barrel was expensive and you might not see it well but the front sight is a Lee Shavers globe with a spirit level. He don't give them away.
That rifle doesn't hold as dear of a spot in my heart as my Hot Rod Hawken but I don't plan to sell it any time soon.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane View Post
Fat Chance! Ron would sooner part with those body parts that are near and dear to us guys.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ModernPrimitive View Post

As an aside, what can you tell my about the triggers in your pics?
I bet you are asking about the Renegade Hunters with the single triggers.
Those two guns were my first Hot Rods. Later I got a double trigger Renegade and a Hawken. After shooting them with the finger hook I decided that I needed one on the other rifles. So I made them. It made a huge difference how the guns shoot.
I don't have a lot of tools to make stuff with but I do have some things. I don't have a welder so I used brazing rod and then I used a filler to make it smooth. Then I "gasp" painted them.

Last edited by idahoron; 12-21-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.