Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Blue or brown barrel

Old 12-13-2016, 07:46 PM
Spike

Default Blue or brown barrel

I just got a T/C Hawken kit for cheap to occupy my time with the build.(recently retired) What do you think would be the best looking and easiest to use; blue or brown? Any suggestions as to a good brand of finish?
Old 12-13-2016, 07:52 PM
Banned

brown. Laurel mountain forge.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
brown. Laurel mountain forge.
Jon...

I was never really an advocate of browning because I've seen so many kit guns that were browned that looked like sh*t on a white rag. That said, I was impressed with the work I've seen that you've done using that product. If I were to decide to build a kit gun and decide to do a brown finish, that's what I'd use based on what I've seen you do with your guns.

BPS
Old 12-13-2016, 09:14 PM
Banned

Just like everything in life, it takes practice. I do plan on writing a how to on this when i am ready to brown my hawken barrel.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zeek99
I just got a T/C Hawken kit for cheap to occupy my time with the build.(recently retired) What do you think would be the best looking and easiest to use; blue or brown? Any suggestions as to a good brand of finish?
Brown for sure I just browned my target rifle barrel and it came out fantastic! I think there are pics on my profile page ? Pretty easy process just need patience and about 3-5 days.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I browned a T/C Renegade kit back in the very early 80's. And I have to admit through the years it just got better looking in age. I never could blue a barrel. A friend tried, I helps, we followed the instructions to the letter and needless to say were not happy with the results.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

I like a brown barrel also. I have used Laurel Mountain Forge and got good results but my favorite browning solution is made and sold by Homer Dangler.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Mr.Flintlock
I like a brown barrel also. I have used Laurel Mountain Forge and got good results but my favorite browning solution is made and sold by Homer Dangler.
That Laurel Mountain Forge was the same stuff I used I believe. (All I remember was Mountain Forge, came in a small brown bottle.) I purchased the stuff at a Rendezvous. Some person was selling it, and I was impressed with the quality of work he'd done on his barrels.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

For the record. A lot of the original Hawken rifles were blued.

They look like they might have been browned, but that was old guns we're looking at that got rusty or bluing just wore off. When they took off the barrels and looked at the bottom of them where it was protected they saw they were blued.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 01-21-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

One thing that I like to do, and I don't remember where I learned this trick, but after I get the color brown that I want and kill the acid with baking soda solution, I wipe the barrel down with automatic transmission fluid. This will give the barrel a nice reddish brown color and it dries to a nice sheen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.