Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Hoyt .54 Custom barrel

Old 11-26-2016, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Hoyt .54 Custom barrel

Earlier this year I had Mr. Hoyt make me a 32" .54 caliber flintlock barrel for my curly maple stock. I previously sighted it in but was concerned that the rear sight was too high so I took the front sight off and installed a lower one.
I took a guess and lowered the rear sight. My first shot at 25 yards hit the lower half of the bull using a 6:00 hold. After applying an orange sticky target dot I moved the target out to 50 yards and shot 3 more. These impacted about 2" above the 3" bull using the same 6 O'clock hold but grouped nicely shooting about as fast as I could load.
I lowered the rear sight some more and after letting the barrel cool took 3 more shots allowing a couple mins between each shot and swabbing with one wet and 2 dry patches. These 3 printed inside an inch with shots #1 and #3 almost in the same hole. I was using a .530" ball and .018" pillow tick patch and Frontier Anti-rust lube pushed by 100 gr of Goex FFg powder.
That one hole with the tape over it was caused by trying another lube with everything else the same. Hard to believe a patch lube could make that much difference!! But in all honesty, Jon's Frontier Anti-rust and Patch Lube although make the patches a little stiff in the cooler weather, going down the bore it felt as slick as snot on the door knob. The other lube took sufficiently more pressure even though the patch wasn't as stiff.
Attached Thumbnails Hoyt .54 Custom barrel-dscn0844.jpg  

Last edited by bronko22000; 11-26-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

That is some good shooting. That should get the job done.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Dave. The only thing I'm curious about regarding the barrel is that Bob didn't put a crown at the muzzle. It is a straight flat cut. I guess if I have to later should it get a ding I can put one on it.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, those deer are in trouble.
-Jake
Old 11-26-2016, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Yep, those deer are in trouble.
-Jake
I hope so Jake. That is if I can get out. I plan on taking the grandson out on Monday. But right now my foot is going into spasms and I can't sleep. And if that wasn't bad enough, last night I really stubbed my toe - the one that was operated on last month - so bad that it took a chunk of skin about 1/2" long and 1/8" wide off it. Good thing none of the kids were around because I let out a string of superlatives that I didn't even thought I knew and would make a sailor cringe...

BTW - the first time out if you recall, this rifle was giving me a bit of a fit with the ignition. As I surmised the flash hole wasn't perfectly in line with the center of the pan and I moved everything forward about 1/8" or so and bedded the tang and barrel. This outing I only had one failure and that was because I got insufficient spark when the corner of the flint broke off. I'm really happy with this set up and plan on using it AND the Perdersoli Frontier rifle in .50 cal. I have 3 tags that I can fill if I get the opportunity(s).

Last edited by bronko22000; 11-26-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:42 AM
Banned

Excellent solid shooting! It is odd about the crown not being cut. One thing you could do is actually cone the muzzle with a ball bearing thats over bore size diameter and use some valve lapping compound. If you're not having any torn patches or super hard loading however, I'd probably leave it alone to be honest.

Good deal on the bedding! It truly makes a world of difference after a long day on the range!