Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Arrrg! I am sick to my stomach - New gun? >

Arrrg! I am sick to my stomach - New gun?

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Arrrg! I am sick to my stomach - New gun?

Old 10-23-2016, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Well there ar many different configurations on sidekicks:

This is a Cabalas Hawkens carbine made by InvestArms with a 1 in 24" twist that has to shoot conicals or sabots. I have hunted and shot more game with this carbine and love it.

Now as far as historic, mine balls replaced the round ball sometime in the 1830's. It came about because it was much more accurate then the round ball in a rifled barrel. Oh my, advances in technologies!!!

Being true to history is admirable, but it doesn't trump other peoples wants or desires!!! This post is starting to sound like those lousy posts in the past where people would be damned for not shooting the historic projectile in the right gun.!! BS!!!
Old 11-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Banned

Well, I got her ordered today and the guy on the phone said it'll go out on the truck today!

Ended up with a tradition st.louis Hawken .50cal kit in percussion!

Looked all over the place for the best prices and went cross eyed as most places were asking MORE for the kits than the factory built rifles!

$6 shipping was to hard to pass up as well lol.

I'll be doing a build along on this one showing how I do my stocks and barrels, all my lil tune up tricks, etc.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Banned

Rifle arrived today! I am eager to tear into it and get started but I will force myself and take pictures as I go along to show what all needs to be done. A little inletting of the lock to get it to drop in smoothly will be needed, as will the trigger guard and nose cap. Butt plate needs to be pulled off and put on a sanding block, but its super close to being perfect right out of the box.

One bad part but something I knew about, Plastic front and rear sights. NO rifle made for hunting should ever have plastic sights! They'll be tossed and traditional sights installed.

Overall, everything looks good, lock is smooth so I don't know if I will mess with that any, triggers need just a little filing to remove a burr at the end.

Looks like it will be a good project to keep me busy for a few weeks if I take my time.