Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Safety Inspection

Old 10-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Banned

Default Safety Inspection

A members son over at my place picked up a never fired Traditions Trapper Pistol. Darn nice pistols and a lot smaller than they look in pictures. Nice balance, fit, finish.

One problem with this one however was the unfired story the guy told the guys son.

I put my bore lite in to check the bore, then pulled the clean out screw only to find a SOLID mass of powder fouling that someone had pushed into the breech plug/drum. I think this was due to the previous owner not cleaning it properly with water suction.

And then I pulled the nipple and thanked god the fellows kid did not attempt to fire this pistol! Finding this just about made my blood boil out my ears I was so P'd off.

Once I got everything cleaned up and inspected I took it out shooting and bad a blast. That .50cal with 1:20 twist barrel shot balls amazing at 11 and 25 yards. I want to get one for myself down the road.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

It is extremely important to inspect a bore with a bore light as you did.But who would suspect one supposedly NIB.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Was the nipple hitting the clean out screw?