Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Traditions Moutain Rifle - Flinter

Old 09-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Banned

Default Traditions Moutain Rifle - Flinter

Got out today for its first REAL Accuracy report!

50 yards
.490" round ball
.020" patches lubed in Shoot Out!
70gr 2fg Olde Eynsford
4fg Goex Flash Powder
French Amber Flint ( Over 60 strikes now without knapping!)

I had 3 flash in the pans towards the middle of my shooting and I found the touch hole was blocked by fouling each time. I used a small wire pick and cleared it and after that, almost instant ignition. It seems 3-4 grains is perfect i the pan and spread across the pan. I tried far away from the pan and ignition was still instant but gave a lot of flash in your face that you certainly felt! After that, I just dribbled a little powder in and seated it across the pan with a couple light taps on the lock.

Before I left to go hunting, i filed off a good nickel thickness of front sight and adjusted the sight down half way. Had to bring it up just a little more, but that's perfect for me. I like my flinters for around 75 yards as that's all I feel comfortable at right now.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like playing with my flinters. Last count I believe I have 4 with my custom .54 arriving very shortly (I hope).
That's some pretty decent shooting. I bet that ball/patch combo was tight.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:52 AM
Dominant Buck

I like the looks of that mountain rifle. And it looks like it will be a good shooter.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

MD,

Is Shoot Out your "go to" lube now or are you using it as a break in lube on a new bore?

BPS
Old 09-21-2016, 12:04 PM
Banned

Just using it to clean out any unknowns. I had a hell of a time reloading for the first 8 shots yesterday and after that, everything went down smooth without any issues. I think some Cerakote over spray got into the bore.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I used the Shoot Out in a couple of my bores. It works best with the tightest ball/patch combo you can get down the bore. I was having a heck of a time getting the surface rust out of my .50 Pedersoli Frontier's bore. But after 30 shots with 35 gr of FFg and a .495 ball with a .020" patch the bore is like new. It was a real challenge getting that ball down the bore but it was worth it in the end.
Now I am starting to test Frontier's Anti-rust patch lube and so far it looks promising. I still need a bit more shooting to validate. And I'm still waiting for my .54 flintlock barrel to come in from betting blued. I stopped by today and he said he was going to blue on Friday or Saturday. I told him I will be down on Monday and I'll be bringing a club to beat him with if it ain't done!
Old 09-21-2016, 02:46 PM
Banned

Just some follow up pics but here is the frizzen. A HUUUGE upgrade in their hardening process! This has well over 60 strikes on the frizzen, mostly just from playing. Just a light dent mark where the main flint strikes and then a nice smooth surface as the flint slides down. This lock throws white/yellow sparks that typically sizzle in the pan.

The vent is slightly above the pan as it should be and very close to center of the pan. Lock to barrel fit is nice and tight as well.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Just using it to clean out any unknowns. I had a hell of a time reloading for the first 8 shots yesterday and after that, everything went down smooth without any issues. I think some Cerakote over spray got into the bore.
Jon...

The Mrs. and I have recently been talking about doing some squirrel hunting once our season opens. I'm thinking I'll probably use one of our little muzzleloading rifles, either the Seneca .36 or the Pedersoli Blue Ridge .32 caliber. Either way, I'm gonna try the Shoot Out during my sight in session. I'll post results when I do some shooting.

BPS
Old 09-23-2016, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Barry I'm not sure but you may notice a difference in POI between the shoot out and whatever you normally use for patch lube simpl;y because of the consistency. Be sure to shake that bottle up real good to get that ball in there mixing up Jon's concoction! And use the tightest patch/ball combo you can get down the bore (without getting a hernia).
I used it on my Pedersoli and my .58 and will likely use it on my .54 flinter whenever I get it back from being blued.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

It isn,t listed on Trads web site but I did see it listed on muzzle-loaders.com.