Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Up date on Platinum lined nipples.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Up date on Platinum lined nipples.

I decided to look farther into the clean out screw. I pulled out one from a OLD green mountain barrel. The nose of the clean out screw was flat. I got to looking into the nipple hole at the clean out screw threads and they end just short of the nipple hole. As long as the nose of the screw is flat it CAN'T touch the nipple in any way.
I know my barrel was one of the "recalled" barrels that had the bad threads for the nipple. The breach plug was changed with a new one. I am wondering if the clean out plug was changed at that time.
All I know is as long as the nipple was short like on the Hot Shot's it didn't touch.

I was quick to point a finger at the longer threads of the Platinum nipples but I am thinking that it was the wrong clean out screw that caused the trouble.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well that should be an easy fix with a trip to the hardware store Ron. (or to the workshop on the grinder)!
Old 09-17-2016, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya I tried to get some flat ones and no luck. I picked up a half dozen and ground them down. I think I will do some more testing on the Platinum nipples next year. I am too close to hunting season to go back now.