Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Hunter style shooting

Old 08-03-2016, 06:18 PM
Banned

Default Hunter style shooting

With the rain coming this evening, It made it nice a cool for a bit before the sun broke out and made it crappy as usual LOL.

I wanted to do a little hunter style shooting, so I loaded up some speed loaders and took my usual hunting gears and home made shooting sticks. They are not the greatest but they do the job.

I shot 75 yards today with the Hawken Woodsman with 80gr JSG, .015" patches lubed with Anti Rust lube and home cast .490" round balls. The 2 patches I recovered looked excellent with no holes or burn through spots. I couldn't find the first one with the weeds on the shooting lane.

I even used the MPP to see how consistent I was with this little device. So far, so good but it will show best over the chrony.

Later on I switched to Pyrodex P and the same stuff above. She still shot excellent! Not to picky a rifle with powder brand. Just as long as it agrees with the amount, she'll shoot.

One BAD thing about speed loaders and patched round balls is the powder sticks to the insides of the tube once you reload them again.

Tomorrow I plan on pulling out my bear target and give that a try without a bulls eye to aim at.

Remember what happens on my third shot? Yep! Its the fast reloading and heating up the barrel which causes this.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

MD, find you a box of those UNSCENTED dryer sheets and wipe the inside of your plastic speed loaders with one. That will eliminate the "sticking" of the powder pretty much. It will usually last for 2 or 3 loads before you need to wipe again.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Banned

its actually the lubed patches. Once you load them up, you'll have to de-grease them in order to use them again. Which is ok for hunting, just a pain for range shooting.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhh,,, didn't realize you were putting lubed patches in a speed loader with powder... Have to say, not the brightest actions for the range, correct in that assessment Looks like you got about a grain and a half of powder left in that loader!!