Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Light load shooting in .58cal Hawken >

Light load shooting in .58cal Hawken

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Light load shooting in .58cal Hawken

Old 06-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Banned

Default Light load shooting in .58cal Hawken

Took my baby out to 50 yards just for some easy plinking. Just wanted to slow down and enjoy the smoke, there sure was plenty of smoke that's for sure!

60gr Jim Shockeys Gold Super Powder
.018" Lubed with Shoot Out patch lube
.570" home cast round ball
CCI #11 Percussion cap
Knight Red Hot Nipple
50 Yard

I took 3 shots ( Left of bulls eye) and lightly tapped the rear sight over a bit to center it. Couldn't ask for much more with next 2 shots I took.

After that I stood up and the other 7 shots I took were all off hand from a standing position. Since doing the PT, I remembered half way through to suck my abdominal muscles in and I felt the pressure ease up on my lower back which helped me out a lot.

It felt good to finally get back to off hand shooting. I still like the rest to zero in a rifle, but it feels good to try it off hand and learn it all over again.

Towards the end I started getting sloppy as the sun was dipping down behind the mountain and causing a very bad, almost blinding, glare off the side of my barrel. I still still happy though!

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot my big boar with 50 -60 grs shutz ffg 570 rb and 18 thou patch with my own custom lube cleaner for my club steel shoots and it is a tack driver unbelievable how accurate these guns are !
Old 06-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's minute of deer all day long.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

Great Shooting! I'd be quite happy with that.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fifty-eights are so much fun. That's great off hand shooting Devil. I can't do that.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

That is great shooting. I shot my GMB .58 with 60 grains of 2f black and it did wonderful, but I knew the ball speed would be very low. Yet it was very accurate. Off hand shooting by you is excellent. Far better then I do.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

as far as offhand shooting goes, back when I was shooting competitively back in the 80s my friend and mentor told me this. "You will never be able to hold your muzzle dead still. Just relax and let it move. Consistent practice will train your muscles to get the muzzle moving in smaller and smaller circles. And you just squeeze the trigger with steady pressure." Looking through a 20X Unertel scope as its circling the target I've found that it's somewhat of a mystery how that bullet could find the X ring on a regular basis!
Old 06-11-2016, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

MD, that is some fine off hand shooting.