Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Finally on sight

Old 05-09-2016, 05:37 PM
Banned

Default Finally on sight

My brother and I went out to the range today and I said lets just take our time and enjoy it rather than get in a rush.

I used 90gr 2fg Goex, .490" round balls, .020" patches lubed with Anti-Rust & Patch Lube, Damp swab between shots.

At the beginning, my flintlock was shooting solid, but then started to get real funky once I adjusted my sights. I took 5 shots and was scratching my head when a thought hit me to check the tang screw. Sure enough, it was loose almost 2 full turns. This is why I always bed the tang and trigger plate. I'll clean the rifle tonight and prep it for bedding as it needs it.

After I tightened the screw, I took 3 shots, cleaning between each shot and walked away more than happy! I may also change out the bead front sight for the german silver blade sight that I have in my little collection. Personally, I think the bead sights are better suited for hunting rather than target shooting.

We also cut patches at the muzzle,

Better sun light should help improve that group. Wind was iffy today and so the orange would be nice and bright even with sun glasses on, then I'd have to take them off in order to see the target due to clouds moving in and ruining the orange dot. Worse however, was when I'd get shadow and light on it streaming in from the pines. That really limited my sights.

Great day of shooting though. No fuss, just dirty hands, the smell of sulfur in the air and lots of smoke.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:58 AM
Dominant Buck

that is some good 100 yard shooting. What kind of patch material is that? I am a firm believer of cutting patches at the muzzle. Nice job.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
that is some good 100 yard shooting. What kind of patch material is that? I am a firm believer of cutting patches at the muzzle. Nice job.
Dave,

I may have missed it, but has anyone here ever done any testing of precut vs cut at muzzle patches using identical material and lube to show any variation in group size at a given range? Just curious...

BPS
Old 05-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

BPS - I use pillow ticking both cut at the muzzle and precut from the same rifle and I didn't notice a difference. I normally cut at the muzzle at the range and use precut for hunting.
Maybe I'll give this a try and see if there is a real difference (when turkey season is over and the weather is nicer).
What I would also do if I were to test is, with the cut at the muzzle is to cut two ways. 1; Place the ball so that I would have to cut both sides of the patching to ensure they are equal (which is what I do anyway) and, 2; Leave one end intentionally longer.
That material that Jon is using looks a lot like bleached out denim!?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Dave,

I may have missed it, but has anyone here ever done any testing of precut vs cut at muzzle patches using identical material and lube to show any variation in group size at a given range? Just curious...

BPS
I did it with a couple rifles. I couldn't see much difference in groups or POI. The only reason I cut at the muzzle is I get a perfect centered patch and it seems easier for me to get the ball initially set.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is very good shooting.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Banned

Track of the wolf .com

Part Number: OX-20-BD

Its bulk patch material that's sold in either 36" long strips or in my case, 1/2 yard square that I cut into my own strips.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jon, judging by the look and thickness it looks like denim before they dye it blue.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:33 AM
Dominant Buck

that would be pretty thick then? Might be good in a loose bore rifle.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well maybe denim is a bit thicker than .020". I have some that comes in around .022" and other that is .025"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.