Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Umderhammers... anyone have one and shoot it? >

Umderhammers... anyone have one and shoot it?

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Umderhammers... anyone have one and shoot it?

Old 02-23-2016, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Umderhammers... anyone have one and shoot it?

Just curious... do any of you fellow BP shooters have an underhammer rifle? I remember when I was a kid in high school there were only a few fellas I knew that were muzzleloading enthusiasts.... I can't remember all of their rifles they showed me, but I remember that each of them owned at least one Hopkins & Allen underhammer rifle.

Any of you fellas have one of these and shoot it?

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 02-24-2016 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Please ignore the mis-spelling of "Underhammers" on my original post...

BPS
Old 02-23-2016, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have one at present. Which is strange because I've always been a fan. I do have a rusted up H&A action somewhere out in the garage that I've always intended to turn into a gun. Just never seem to get around to it.

Most people consider the H&A underhammer an ugly gun. To me they are a thing of beauty and simplicity.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:47 PM
Banned

how come you never shoot swamp donkey anymore? You put a lot of work into her and now u dont even show us
Old 02-24-2016, 06:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Try the following web site: underhammers.com

Blue Goose Black Powder
13410135 Ave KPN
Gig Harbor, Wa. 98329-4688

253-884-7625

that is the place I looked into when I was thinking of getting one. But I had too many rifles I purchased that year and talked myself out of it.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Try the following web site: underhammers.com

Blue Goose Black Powder
13410135 Ave KPN
Gig Harbor, Wa. 98329-4688

253-884-7625

that is the place I looked into when I was thinking of getting one. But I had too many rifles I purchased that year and talked myself out of it.
Dave,

I'm not looking to buy one. I was just curious if any of you have one and shoot it. The Hopkin's and Allen rifles were fairly common around my area when I was a young man, any gun shop that carried muzzleloaders usually had some on their racks. Probably because they were made about 3 hours east of where I live. If I were to run across a good clean one nowadays and the price was right, I might.

I spoke with the man from Blue Grouse some years back and if I were going to buy an underhammer, it wouldn't be from him. I didn't care for the attitude he gave me over the phone. When I started questioning him about his rifles, it was like "If you wanna buy a rifle I'll talk to you, otherwise I'm too busy.

BPS
Old 02-24-2016, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
how come you never shoot swamp donkey anymore? You put a lot of work into her and now u dont even show us
That's right... I forgot all about Semi's legendary "Swamp Dragon".

BPS
Old 02-26-2016, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

My wife loved them she had several, a 45 HP a 58 I built for her and a 45 HP pistol. I gave them to the kids when she died of cancer.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
My wife loved them she had several, a 45 HP a 58 I built for her and a 45 HP pistol. I gave them to the kids when she died of cancer.
Sorry to hear that Lee... if you don't mind my asking, what do you mean by 45 HP?

BPS
Old 03-01-2016, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Might sound like a dumb question, but do underhammer rifles have a half-cock notch on the hammer? In all the pictures I see the hammer appears to be resting on the nipple.