Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Great day with CVA Mtn Pistol

Old 02-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Banned

Default Great day with CVA Mtn Pistol

Beautfiful 60* + day with light wind now and then. I decided I needed to get out and get some shooting in but make it easy on myself. I grabbed my CVA Mountain Pistol and used my shoot out lube as it has some pitting from where the browning solution ran into the bore and (wasn't me!) wasn't cleaned. It feels smoother to load but it will take another 30 shots before I will even bother to check with the camera.

She shot beautifully though! It really likes 40 grains of JSG SP, .015" patch and .490" round ball.

I shot 10 shots total, 6 into the bulls eye at 11 yards and 4 more at 25 yards which went a little higher and to the left.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

MD...

Just curious... what's the twist in that barrel? Is that just a short chunk of one of their rifle barrels or did they make their pistol barrels with a faster twist, as many are?

BPS
Old 02-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Banned

You know, I actually have never checked to see what twist it has. One of these days I may give it a try.

Im considering having Hoyt boring it out to .58cal. Its a 15/16" barrel but with the charges it shoots, should be more than safe.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
You know, I actually have never checked to see what twist it has. One of these days I may give it a try.

Im considering having Hoyt boring it out to .58cal. Its a 15/16" barrel but with the charges it shoots, should be more than safe.
Come to think of it MD, I've never checked the twist rate of my CVA Kentucky pistol either!

BPS
Old 03-08-2016, 04:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nor me my Lyman! A search just shows its a 1:30. BPS I think from what I can find, your's is a 1:28. I can't find any info on the CVA Mtn rifle.

Last edited by bronko22000; 03-08-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Many years ago I had a "horse pistol" similar to that in .45 caliber made by Jukar. I had helped a fellow out that was down and out and to repay me he gave me this old black powder pistol as he knew I liked those things. I was always surprised at how accurate that thing was. No idea of the twist rate, but I can remember sitting in the back yard of my friends house (he lived on a farm) and we were shooting at an old feed barrel. And we both (he was a military police officer until he retired, and a darn good shot) were shocked at the group of hits we were getting with it.

That is a nice looking pistol. It looks like I lot of fun. In fact, I have been tempeted to get me one. But want a flintlock model.