Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Order on the way

Old 01-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't get mad. It's a simple discussion. I said you can use what you want. It's your gun.

Don't act like you won't read this.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Don't get mad. It's a simple discussion. I said you can use what you want. It's your gun.
Don't act like you won't read this.
LMAO
Old 01-25-2016, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

bronko...

I don't think Muley was trying to pick a fight and I'm like you, I like my adjustable sights too. But most all custom rifles come with fixed style sights. Even some of the production guns like the Lyman Trade rifle did. The ol' timers worked up a load for their rifles for a known distance and filed their sights accordingly, from then on they had to rely on how accurately they could judge distance and use the proper holdover and judge the wind as well. Powder and lead were very valuable commodities on the frontier so they couldn't be experimenting with different charges etc. as we do. They had a load that worked well for them under most if not all situations and stuck with it.

As far as learning Tennessee elevation and Kentucky windage, they had no choice. They were either very good at it or they went hungry.

Hope that new barrel works out well for ya!

BPS
Old 01-25-2016, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have adjustable rear sight on my JBMR, because it came that way. I'd prefer a more primitive rear sight. I might change it.

If I could afford a Green River Hawken i'd for sure order true Hawken sights. Maybe order some spare front sights just in case.

Just expressing my opinion.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Maybe order some spare front sights just in case.

Just expressing my opinion.
That's exactly what I'm saying. I like to experiment so I'd likely need extra front sights.

I believe if I ever do get a custom rifle I will likely swap out the original dovetail rear with an adjustable buckhorn sight similar to this one.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=7496
Old 01-25-2016, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
That's exactly what I'm saying. I like to experiment so I'd likely need extra front sights.

I believe if I ever do get a custom rifle I will likely swap out the original dovetail rear with an adjustable buckhorn sight similar to this one.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=7496
Extra front sights are a good thing, but I'd rather rely on the adjustable rear sight. I've had several ML's over the years that the adjustable rear sight was bottomed out and they still hit way too high at a relatively short range of 30-40 yards because the front blade was too short. And this was with relatively light loads of 50 gr. or less.

Well... ya can't file the front sight because it's only gonna cause you to shoot higher so here's what I did...

I took a sliver of black electrician's tape and wrapped it onto the front sight as if wrapping it from the face of the sight that you see looking toward the muzzle. I trimmed some off as it was excessively too much (you can always put another piece of tape on). I fired a few shots to get a "feel" for things and then with a single edged razor, I shaved a little at a time off the top of the tape until I was still a bit low but was now able to begin adjusting my rear sights up again. I played around with both until I had my rear sights about in the middle of their adjustment range and stopped.

I then took a measurement of the height from the flat of my barrel to the top of the "taped" front sight and ordered a front sight that would be of that (close proximity) height.

I have bought several replacement front sights from MarbleArms company. They have a lot of different dovetailed front sight styles and heights to suit your needs and they factor in your distance from the base of the sight whether it's a standard or mm dovetail... depending.

Here's a helpful link...

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLoc...front%2Bsights

BPS