Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Cleaning up my Flintlock bore next

Old 01-19-2016, 06:13 PM
Banned

Default Cleaning up my Flintlock bore next

Have a new lube on the drawing board and still under going testing.

I was going to try a sidelock, but seeing my Kentucky flinter on the wall and knowing it was abused with bore butter as "rust protection" I decided to clean the bore of dust and run the bore camera down.

I about died.

I'll have to cast balls tomorrow and then run about 30 rounds down range and see how it cleans up. Boy this was just disheartening.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: better pics added
Old 01-19-2016, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

I am eager to see how well it cleans up. It a shame the way that bore looks. I have not used bore butter in years; I switched to bear grease as my lube.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not to change the subject but my cousin was telling me about this new gun oil that was to come out on the market as a rust preventative. All the high praises it was getting, etc. Then an independent lab did some testing on it and found it was nothing but canola oil! Boy would that have been a sham.
But back to the post...MD I'm anxious to see this test too. And after looking at your recent posts, when I get up north I'm ordering a bore scope too.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Banned

hahaha canola oil is some nasty stuff to clean off once it sets up. Did a few rifles like that when we had nothing else at hand. Man was that a mistake! Canola oil used to be called rapeseed oil but they changed the name due to it being offensive. A lot of knife makers used to use it to keep rust away but its just to nasty once it dries for my taste.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I made the mistake once of leaving Canola oil on one of my good iron skillets for "seasoning" and such. Man you sure aint kidding about that stuff being rough! That stuff was literally like super glue! I finally broke down and took some steel wool and took it down to the bare metal and had to start from scratch again "seasoning" that skillet. If it hadn't been one of my Moms that was older than dirt and a perfect skillet for frying chicken I would have tossed the thing.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I made the mistake once of leaving Canola oil on one of my good iron skillets for "seasoning" and such. Man you sure aint kidding about that stuff being rough! That stuff was literally like super glue! I finally broke down and took some steel wool and took it down to the bare metal and had to start from scratch again "seasoning" that skillet. If it hadn't been one of my Moms that was older than dirt and a perfect skillet for frying chicken I would have tossed the thing.
Ya should have used Bore Butter to reseason it! LOL
Old 01-20-2016, 11:36 AM
Banned

I got out in the shop today and was able to cast up a bunch of round balls for the .50 so I am all set. Just not sure if I will shoot today or not, fairly windy and cold.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Ya should have used Bore Butter to reseason it! LOL
Or better yet... Ballistol

BPS
Old 01-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Banned

well 10 shots in the books today. That flint stuff is hard work on windy days.

Already a difference at the muzzle where the light pitting was and actually throughout the entire barrel except for where the powder sits. Tomorrow i'll run some 20 grain loads through the barrel to scrub that section really good.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks to the fine folks on this site I never have and never will use BB.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.