Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Fiberglass problem?

Old 02-02-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Fiberglass problem?

I am currently selling a chekmate recurve bow on ebay and a person asked me a question if there was any --Hazing, streaking, or cracking on the bow? This is a Firebird recurve and it looks like there is a coat of clear glass on the limbs, not sure if its fiberglass? But i do not see any hazing, streaking, or cracking on the bow. The person that sent me the message said that Chekmate had a problem for a while with there fiberglass for a while? Has anybody heard anything about this? And also--this person asked if the bow is Canadian or Gordon fiberglass? How can you tell the difference?

Any help would be much aprreciated, Thank you>>>RobinHood36>>>------------>
Old 02-02-2005, 08:41 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Fiberglass problem?

Everyone had problems for a while, not just CM. Gordon's quit selling clear glass to bowyers for a while, then came back but won't guarantee the clarity of the glass. Sometimes the streaks don't show until the bow is glued up. I've heard that some bowyers have thrown away a lot of glass, and some bows. I know Marc has culled quite a bit of glass, but they can't afford to throw it away like they could if they had a higher profit margin. It's gotten a whole lot better, but ocassionally I'll see a bow with a streak--CM and others. It's cosmetic only, but doesn't look good. It is clear fiberglass on your bow.

I can probably find out if it's Armatex or Gordon's glass on your bow. Do you know what year it was made? If not, send me the serial number and I'll see what I can find out.

Chad
Old 02-02-2005, 09:14 AM

The serial number is C.M. #1049., Thanks Chad,
RobinHood36>>>------------>
Old 02-02-2005, 09:51 AM

What Chad said