Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Magnus II Broadhead Question >

Magnus II Broadhead Question

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Magnus II Broadhead Question

Old 09-02-2002, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Magnus II Broadhead Question

I touched up the new Magnus II Broadheads I had purchased before I went hunting today. It was somewhat disconcernting to find that the tips of all five heads I sharpened had the very end of the point peened over to one side. Anybocy else had that problem.

It concerns me now to think "What happens if I hit a bone?" Any suggestions as to what I can do to eliminate or minimize the potential for this happening again? I am thinking about taking the grinding wheel to it and rounding the point off somewhat like the Journeryman heads. What do you think?

Bill

Praise the Lord, He is worthy
Old 09-02-2002, 05:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-02-2002, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Magnus II Broadhead Question

Mike,

I'll try rounding it with the file. I don't like the thin pointy tip after I got to looking at it and noticed the very tip was peened over. And it was a new, never been shot head!

Thanks!

Bill

Old 09-03-2002, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a doe a couple of years ago through the spine with a Magnus. There was no problem with the blade tip folding. I did have one go through the chest cavity and peened the the point on a rock on the opposite side. I rounded that tip off and sudsequently shot 4 more deer with it before losing it.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

lamb, I have had the problem with cut on contact heads that are pre-installed with the small adapter. I am curious (maybe a little clueless), but are you using the heads on aluminum? I usually won't buy the cut on contacts anymore with the pre-installed adapter. I always use the long adapter (I believe 42 grains) and install the head to the adapter myself. I have not had any problems since then. But while installing them, I always spin test them just to be sure.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bob,

These heads are glued onto wood shafts. I may not have made myself clear in the orignial post, but these are heads that are new and never been shot!

I was hitting them with the Simmons Wheel sharpener, and when I pulled the first arrow out of the arrow box and looked at the edge on the head I noticed the tip was bent to one side. It really disturbed me when I found all of them were bent the same way!

Had they been used arrows that I had shot and hit something solid, I wouldn't be surprised that they were bent over. But I find it shocking for new heads to be in that condition.

Bill

Old 09-05-2002, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is a little strange. I don't think that I have ever had that problem before. Maybe it was a bad batch. I believe that they are guaranteed for life. I'd give them a call.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now that I rethink about what I observed, the tip was very likely pushed over while it was being glued onto the shaft. That assessment is based on the assumption that the tip was placed against something and pressure applied to the shaft to push it fully into the broadhead.

It was just the very point, maybe 1/8" at most, that was misshapen. It is still enough to make me refile it to the Journeyman shape!

Bill

Old 09-06-2002, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did you glue them yourself? When I gue them myself, I usually push them into a soft piece of wood. I have never bent them though. Especially 1/8 of an inch.
Old 09-06-2002, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, I bought the arrows with 6 field points and 6 broadheads already glued on.

Bill