Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Getting started

Old 12-25-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Getting started

First off, thanks for taking the time to read my post:

I recieved a gift certificate for Christmas to Sportsmans Warehouse, and I am thinking about getting a recurve/ longbow. First off, which would you recommend? A recurve? I just want a basic level entry bow. Something that I can learn with, and If i get to a hunting level of shooting that I would purchase a new higher caliber bow. I have always shot compound, this year i even bought a new hoyt, but I would also like to have traditional equipment. So what kind of bows would you recommend, any web sites that i can read up on traditional hunting? On Cabelas they have PSE Impala that looks like it would be a good start, what do you think? It would have to be a bow that I could get from Sportsmans Warehouse, and they can order out (but i can't buy anthing of the internet). Also what kind of arrow and accesories would i need? Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Idaho
Old 12-25-2004, 09:27 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Getting started

You need to get a bow that fits you--if you draw 30", don't get a 56" bow. Keep in mind that for every inch you pull under or over 28", the poundage will increase or decrease. You can generally get a good recurve cheaper than a good longbow. Martin probably makes the best "over the counter" bows on the market, but in my experience they start stacking if you draw much past 28". I haven't shot a PSE in a few years, but was not impressed with the quality of the ones I have shot.

Starting out, you may need a bow that is lighter than you want for hunting. You need to establish your form and accuracy first--this is usually much easier with a lighter bow. I figure 30-40# is what most men can comfortably shoot and control, at least starting out.

You will need arrows, a glove or tab, a target, and a bracer (armguard). A good book and/or video to help you with the basics won't hurt either--I like Byron Ferguson's "Become the Arrow" (book) and Ricky Welch's Instinctive Archery Vol. II (video). Don't try to follow their every move, just get the basics then use what works best for you.

As far as the arrows go, you can get some close guesses but the final tuning will be up to you. I like to stay with 8 grains per lb of draw weight or more. I wouldn't start out with wood arrows--they have their own particulars to learn, and you need to get your shooting down without having to wonder if it's you or your arrows. I love wood arrows, and shoot them myself, but they take a little more understanding than aluminum or carbon.

Good luck!

Chad
Old 12-25-2004, 10:23 PM

well if you are a hoyt person then hoyt has a recurve out now called a gamemaster (aluminum tech type riser) or if you want a more traditional looking bow it would be hard to beat a Martin with bear pulling in second. I agree that to start you definatley want to drop the weight down quite a bit from what you shoot with a compound. It is an entirely different feeling drawing a trad bow. arrows by keely has a good spine chart on his site to get you started along the right spine arrows. In my experience most sporting stores will sell you way to stiff of arrows. become the arrow that Chad suggested is an excellent book to glean the basics from. One thing to remember with trad bows is higher price doesn't mean better quality. A Martin x200 would make a great starter bow if it fits what you are looking for and is reasonably priced. enough of my rambling. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:37 AM

Here is how I got into Traditional, I was at my local archery shop and drew back a Bear black panther hunter 52" 503@28 inches, I baught it and a dozen aluminum shafts and shot it, got real good with it, and went hunting. Then I baught a Damon Howat 66" recurve and shot it for awhile. Then I picked up a longbow and have shot nothing but longbows since.

So to answer your question, The Samick bows are good bows, so are the PSE and the Impala is a great bow. Get a low poundage to start, 45 or 50 pounds, you can hunt with 45 pounds for deer most anywere, and 50# for bigger animals. As far as arrows, I shoot wood, but you aluminum and carbon, i would choose aluminum to start with, cheaper than carrbon, try a tab and a glove and see what you like. Good luck.