Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Introduction

Old 11-01-2004, 01:22 PM

Default Introduction

Just wanted to say Hello. I've been reading from this site for a while and taking it all in. I've been away from the sport for quite a while and am ready to get back into Bow Hunting. This time next year I'll be retired from the Canoe Club (Navy) and will be back in business. Something about the Military + the World Situation and Bow Huntin' that just doesn't go together......

I've decided to go back to the traditional route (This "new" stuff they got out now, doesn't resemble a bow?) Anyhow, I'm still kinda wet behind the ears. I too am in the market for all the advice, tips, adult supervision anyone can provide me.....

Chad Weaver (Chek-Mate) has been quite helpful. So helpful, I'm ordering a CM Hunter II from him....Here's the set up. RT Hand, 50#@28" Draw, 58" with a Dyna Flight string..I plan on shootin' it off the shelf. I'm leaning towards aluminum arrows to shoot. That's what I'm most familiar with. more than likely 125 gr heads. I really like a heavier arrow. Kinda a compromise between a relatively flat trajectory and a hard hitting arrow combo...So any help, advice (besides practice my butt off) would greatly be appreciated. it's been quite a while and I'm rusty. Thanks all, in advance.

Cheers,
Chris Hartwig
Old 11-02-2004, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Introduction

Hey chris, MMC Baker (Ret.) Bubble head Here, Where you stationed? If your a skimmer puke you should probley get a wheel bow!! LOL just kiddin welcome Brother.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:55 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Welcome aboard Chris! This ain't the most active board on the 'net, but we have a dang good buch of fellers that hang out now and then. Looking forward to your posts!

Chad
Old 11-02-2004, 08:56 AM

I'm a Skimmer....I'm stationed in Norfolk. I'm a Hull Tech. Used to run the weld shop at King's Bay GA a few years back.

Chris
Old 11-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome Chris.

I shoot a Chek-Mate Hunter II that's 51@28" and I shoot 29" Easton 2016s with a 125g head attached. The spine figures out to be 55/60# and they shoot extremely well from the bow. Weight is almost right at 500g for a completed arrow. I think it's a good combination of speed and weight. Not to mention I can also shoot them from my 54# Crusader.

What will shoot well for you is between you and your Hunter II.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome aboard Chris. I'm with Rich Baker, once a bubblehead always a bubblehead. I'm formerly MM1(SS) Thein, currently LT Thein. I also retire next year and will be returning to the hunters paradise of Wisconsin (can't wait, 21 years is long enough).

Great choice on your bow. I just got my Hunter II about 6 weeks ago 55#@27". I'm shooting 2018s with 150gr heads. It took me a few weeks to get it set up, but now it shoots like a dream. I was suprised at how much faster it is than my Crusader. But then again my Crusader is 52#@28" so I'm probably pulling 48-49# so it's not really a fair comparison.

Guess it's almost time to order a heavier Crusader.