Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 DIPPING VS WRAPPING CREST >

DIPPING VS WRAPPING CREST

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

DIPPING VS WRAPPING CREST

Old 10-11-2004, 07:07 AM

Default DIPPING VS WRAPPING CREST

I have carbon arrows I want to dip but am considering using wraps.....

2 questions - anyone used the wraps ??

What types of paints BESIDES Bohning has anyone used ? I have some white enamel (boat topside paint) I was going to try.......
Old 10-11-2004, 11:30 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: DIPPING VS WRAPPING CREST

I haven't dipped any carbons, but spray paint works fine with wood arrows--just have to make sure the sealer and fletching glue is compatable. I don't see why it wouldn't work on carbons--might use some steel wool on the part to be dipped to give the paint a little more to stick to, and coat it with clear to help it look nice longer.

There were some posts here a year or so ago telling folks how to make their own custom wraps with a printer and a kit--bumper sticker kit, I think. Looked as nice or nicer than any wraps I've seen, and customized to boot. Maybe some that tried that will chime in.

Chad
Old 10-11-2004, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arrow wraps work quite well. Using fletch tite they bond the feathers to the wraps and they will not come loose. I used the E Z Eye labels. To prep the shat use a light grit sandpaper then rub with a towel and alcohol. Let dry, wrap and fletch.

As for paints ......... I've done it about everyway possible. Sprays, dips, markers ... I even fletched with electrical tape ! (worked pretty good actually)

If you want to do it easy and "right" then invest in dip tubes, and gasket laquer. Using the clear to full dip and coat acrylic/laquer based paints (cresting and crowns) and I have just started using the colored laquers and so far love it ! One single dip in the small tube and I get 10" of pure white, equal crown on my wood shafts. Let dry and fletch with duco or adhesive (not fletchtite)

You can use spray ons, and crest with enamel, you can make your own dipping tubes and just let the paint run off the shafts etc etc, but it just don't work as well IMO. Also, doing carbons and crown/cresting doesn't hold up over time.

For carbons I'd use EZ Cresting labels
Old 10-11-2004, 03:50 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

In my experience, GL won't hold up on carbons for any amount of time. I know I said I haven't dipped any--had a cranial flatuation there. Did some ACC's for another guy, it doesn't stick too well. SC, watch the thickness of the GL, especially with the colors. If it gets too thick, it cracks. I might use it again in a tight, but a friend turned me on to a finish that is much, much more durable than GL. Not as quick, but a lot tougher finish. Use spray paint for the cap, testors for the cresting, Duco to fletch.

Chad
Old 10-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Hello
I use wraps and really like them. Easy, quick and available in many colors also with designs. I also use fletching tape for applying the feathers.
Before wraps, I only used bohning products. I've had great luck with them. So I have no experience with what else is out their.
Happy hunting
Dan
Old 10-12-2004, 03:32 PM

Dipping by far is much more individual and creative. I have used Bohning paints and acrylic latex. The latex takes a bit longer to dry between coats but I have found no difference between durability. Incidently my family prefers the smell of the latex over the laquer.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:05 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Cresting wraps always remind me of K-mart's particle board furniture with fake wood finish. They look nice...from about 50 feet away.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

carbons,

use sherwin williams opex lacquer thinned 50-50 or there abouts depending on color of paint.

use a base coat of white, then whatever color you want for your over coat.

You can seal over this with some high end stuff, but its very costly and almost un strip able if you want to refletch when it comes to that time...
Old 10-13-2004, 06:20 AM

Cresting wraps always remind me of K-mart's particle board furniture with fake wood finish. They look nice...from about 50 feet away.

Awwww Geeeee - Now ya really messed me up. I was going to go ahead and wrap them - but now ya got me thinkin about Kmart arrows....

Hey - what about fumes ???? How long after an arrow is dipped will it smell bad ?? It has to be releasing fumes for a while ?

I have a spray rig (touch - up) I may just get some auto paint and spray them ... ?? I dont feel like ordering the Bohning paint - I dont know what to do..... [&:]
Old 10-13-2004, 06:50 AM

[/quote]
Use spray paint for the cap, testors for the cresting, Duco to fletch.
Chad - On carbons you mean ??

What kind of spray paint ???

Duco cement to fletch feathers ???

Quick Reply: DIPPING VS WRAPPING CREST

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.