Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Arthritic Wrist and Custom Grip >

Arthritic Wrist and Custom Grip

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Arthritic Wrist and Custom Grip

Old 09-16-2004, 02:30 PM

Default Arthritic Wrist and Custom Grip

I am new to the trad thing. But I have arthritis in my wrists and hands. I am shooting a used Black Widow. I sometimes have a hard time keeping my wrist straight for very many shots. On bad days I can't keep it straight for more than a shot or two.

I was looking at my handle and thinking that I could tape it with athletic tape in a way that would thicken up the area of the grip where my palm lays, that would keep my wrist straight without any tension on my wrist. It is a 63# bow which I can handle fine. I kknow that dropping the weight would also help and I probably will go down a bit when I go custom.

So basically I am asking how custom can a custom grip be?
Old 09-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arthritic Wrist and Custom Grip

I have heard of guys actually carving their grips, and adding materials like autobody fillers to grips. Don't know if you want to go that far.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:40 PM

I do not really want to do anything physical to the bow. I went traditional partly because I like the looks of the bows. I don't want any add ons or anything. I want a custom job with the wood fitting my hand rather than bondo or something. Plus I don't want to hurt the resale value if in the unlikely event I ever want to sell it.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:00 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Japeter2, most bowyers will make a custom grip for you--as long as it doesn't affect the strength or integrety of the bow. Sounds like you want a very high wrist grip--that is doable. Some will charge extra, some won't, depending on who you go through. Some bows are made standard with a hight wrist grip--a few that come to mind are the Bear Kodiak Manum, Browning Nomad Stalker, and Chek-Mate Raven.

Have you tried shooting with a medium wrist or low wrist grip? That might help.

Chad