Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 WHAT'S A GOOD SET-UP FOR GRIZ? >

WHAT'S A GOOD SET-UP FOR GRIZ?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

WHAT'S A GOOD SET-UP FOR GRIZ?

Old 09-01-2004, 08:34 PM

Default WHAT'S A GOOD SET-UP FOR GRIZ?

What's a good set-up for grizzly bear hunting. how many grain arrow, i got a 55 lb bow is this to small? sounds kind of small. what's a good broad head for this adventure? is 25 yards about the max? that's what i'm figuring on. i have always used a compound, i maty have a chance to actually hunt griz soon. slim chance it may be, but what a chance of a lifetime and adventure it would be. any help would be wonderful. alot of you guys have been doing this much longer than me and i would like to pick your brain. thanks for your time. shoot straight.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:23 AM
COB

Default RE: WHAT'S A GOOD SET-UP FOR GRIZ?

155 Howitzer!
Old 09-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd suggest you be VERY good with your bow before going grizzly hunting. I don't know that I'd go with less than 60 pounds - maybe, but Grizzly I am thinking are

A) tough
B) big
C) mean enough to eat you if hurt
D) very dangerous when hit / wounded
E) not to be taken lightly
Old 09-02-2004, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd want a bow drawing at least 60-65 lbs, arrows at 10-12 grains per pound, extra sharp cut on impact heads with bleeders. 12 gauge riot gun loaded with slugs and slung over my shoulder for rapid deployment.

Backup: Bradley fighting vehicle.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:11 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I can't talk from experience, because I have none with bear. Some things to look at though--what are you actually pulling on that bow? If you have a 30" draw, it should be enough. Need heavy arrows that fly perfectly and super sharp broadheads. Honestly though, if you haven't been hunting with a recurve, I sure wouldn't make a bear hunt the first. You need experience with the bow--know how it shoots and what it can do. You don't need to be second-guessing yourself at the last second. If it's legal, I'd have a back-up for sure. From what I've heard, slug/buckshot staggered works pretty good.

Chad
Old 09-02-2004, 08:48 PM

Hi guys, thanks for taking time to help. i have practiced a good bit with this bow, or i would not be considering it. 3-d target ranges and such, i have become good enough that i am confident to hit a 10 ring size circle every shot up to 30 yards. thing is ya'll make a good point foam targets don't bite, grizzly do. the shooting i am not worried about, i shoot everyday not just to hunt it is also my passion still under pressure is a different subject i have considered that, i shoot compounds mainly but also recurve. there are alot better then me but i do ok. my question now is it seems from the posts made a recurve may not be the correct weapon to take grizzly. i no i will have no trouble with my compound but was curious if my recurve could do the job. dangerous i know, but experienced back-up will be provided. should i scrap the idea of bringing my recurve?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:44 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The right recurve will do the job just as well as a compound. Not knowing you, or the specifics of your set up, it's an impossible call to make. I couldn't make it anyway, as I have no experience with the bears. Experienced back-up is a BIG plus! I figure it can be done with the bow you have, if you are pulling at least 55#, but I'd be more comfortable with 60+.

Chad
Old 09-03-2004, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: LBR

I figure it can be done with the bow you have, if you are pulling at least 55#, but I'd be more comfortable with 60+.

Chad
I'd be far more comfortable with the 3rd Armored Division as my back-up !
Old 09-03-2004, 08:17 AM

Hey u.a.l you dont realy need to worry about stuff like arrow weight and broadheads. Just get a handfull of whats on sale at wallmart. The most important thing is take someone with you. Find someone that is at least 200 lbs over weight and 10 to 20 years older than you. Its even better if they have bad knees and they chain smoke. Always keep this person within 10yds of you and make sure you carry the important stuff like the cell phone and the truck keys. Now go out their and get after that bear. CAN YOU SKIN GRIZ PILGRAM!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

You practice a lot but your compound is your primary bow ? a 10 ring size group ? 55 pound recurve ?

IMO you're looking at spending a lot of time and money on a Grizzly hunt that is once in a lifetime to many people. Its also an animal that will kill you and your guide if it can - if any mistakes are made.

Be damn sure you can hit whatever you want to, whenever you want to or take the compound. Theres no room for error on planning a hunt like this.

Quick Reply: WHAT'S A GOOD SET-UP FOR GRIZ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.