Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Antelope hunt blues

Old 08-29-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Antelope hunt blues

Returned Friday from a 2 day antelope hunt - It was supposed to be a 4 day hunt but due to weather conditions we called it early - Arrved Tuesday afternoon about 2:00 in Wheatland Wyoming at the outfitters house - Waited around for a few hours and drove to camp - Awoke Wednesday morning at 4:00 a.m. to 45 deg and cloudy - Wind blew 40-45 all day while I sat in the windmill stand - could not even keep an arrow on the shelf. Not to mention the constant "Clang" of the windmill - spent 15 hours in the stand that day - Started raining Wednesday night and rained all night (2" total) Awoke Thursday 4:00 a.m. to rain in the morning followed by snow and sleet - In the ground blind by 1:00 p.m (couldnt sit another minute in the windmill due to wind and rain along with my sore joints) Sat until dark about 7 hours only saw 2 good bucks but they wanted nothing to do with the water tank and ground blind - Awoke Friday to snow again and sleet - Decided to cut our losses since there was no way they would come to water and head home - We were pretty disappointed that the outfitter did not have a back up plan in case it rainedspot and stalk or something) . He did look at the forcast on tuesday before we left so he knew what to expect - He did mention if it rained more than 2" that we were screwed - We did see plenty of Goats but nothing close enogh to shoot at - All in all a bad deal and complete waste of money - We are trying to work something out with the outfitter to get a few days next archery season for free (we buy the tag of course). Wish I could at least do something with this special unit tag I have ($495) Cant make it up for rifle season - Oh well live and learn.

Mike
Old 09-03-2004, 09:38 PM

Default RE: Antelope hunt blues

i live in wy. yes the weather was cold and windy. i have a hard time thinking this outfitter deserves to even have a license. i had a elk hunt planned for 9 -1-04, weather was 88 to 90. way to hot for calling, so i went to setting at a water hole. seen lots of deer, buddy got a shot(hit a limb). seen 1 mature 5x5 bull----got winded. My point is when the weather is not what is espected then change your plan of attack!

If you want a good antelope hunt let me know, I will be more than happy to help you with it! At no cost, just show up I will take you to the goats. They are just about 5 miles down the road!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:37 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Antelope hunt blues

Bummer Mike--hate when that happens! I can relate though--some friends and me went to Canada on a moose hunt a couple years ago. We were hoping to catch the beginning of the rut. Everything was looking great--some guys (including Kip who posts here--dang good dude) went up early to scout. Gobs of fresh sign, weather was looking good, we were pumped! First morning we wake up to a hard frost--oh yeah! Then it went down the crapper......lol. Got up in the high 70's later on in the day, stayed in the high 70's/low 80's the entire week! Still lots of fresh sign, but it was being made at night--so hot the moose weren't moving much at all during the day, and forget the rut (although Kip did manage to get one bull's attention--lol--he will have to tell that story). A few moose were spotted, two guys all but got a shot, but that was a close as it got. I did manage a couple of spruce grouse with my longbow, a couple of buds also got grouse, and in spite of the not-so-great moose hunting it was without a doubt the best hunt I've ever been on--in large due to the company. It was the first time I'd met Kip, but by weeks end I felt like was an old friend. Definately gotta' do that again!

We can plan and prepare, but nobody can control the weather--just gotta make the best of it. Good luck next year!

Chad