Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Bucks are getting ready >

Bucks are getting ready

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Bucks are getting ready

Old 08-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bucks are getting ready

Even after 35yrs. of bowhunting I can't find anybody who shares my passion for it so I'll tell you guys. I was scouting near my home yesterday and came across a cluster of rubs that were amazing for this time of year!. One 1.5" tree had been pushed over and the rub was over 7 feet high when the tree straightened back up! Some of you guys seem like your bowhunting is as much a part of your lives as it has been mine my whole life so I just wish we knew each other in person. It's really hard for me to hunt & scout and see the deer with nobody that understands exactly what I feel like. Oh, well, lifes tuff then ya die.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:53 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bucks are getting ready

Dang--mighty early for that kind of activity! Where I hunt, I don't believe I've ever seen a rub line. I think it's because our buck/doe ratio is so far off. We have the occasional rub and scrape (not this early though), but not a line. The rut doesn't usually hit here until mid-late December, and we've seen fresh scrapes on into March. Wish our entire season would be moved back a month--open Nov. 1st and run through the end of Feb.--usually still real hot here in Oct.

Sounds like you have a great season coming up--good luck!

Chad
Old 08-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Longbowman...............you have met your match my friend, my girlfriend is leaving me, because i told her she needs to find a job that didnt involve her working the weekends so she can watch the kids while i hunt!!!!
Oh well, as long as i get to hunt!![:'(] The activity you are seeing is the same here in ohio.......i think the rut is comig early........it has been really chilly here for august! I think it might have to do with the hurricanes in florida, i dunno..........but its starting early and im going to take my vacation a few weeks earlier.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the come back guys. Turkey Fan, The weather here has been very cold for August. It was 42 Deg. Saturday morning while I was stump shooting. I guess I was just feeling sorry for myself earlier. My son, who has hunted with me since he was 12, (14 yrs.) broke his wrist Monday and is out for the bowseason and I find that not having anybody to tell about my hunting preparations is very frustrating. I have two very good buck on my 90+acres of private land behind my house with one of them going at least 140" and the other around 120" and I was hoping for a double. So I'll just keep boring you guys with post until you all tell me to leave.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:10 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Tell you to leave? Shoot, I can't wait to hear how it goes! No matter to me if it's a 150 class buck or a 100# doe--the hunt is what does it for me. I've been busted by a lot more does than bucks--for the most part, I think they are smarter and harder to hunt.

Chad
Old 08-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same here, hey if u need a hunting partner on your 90 acres, ill be more than happy to listen to you on the way to the stand! AFter that we need to be quiet and stick sum deer!!
Old 08-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

The bucks are still in velvet around here & still traveling their summer pattern in bachelor groups. We've had a very mild August in KY too...actually all summer has been comparatively cool.

The bucks lose their velvet & start rubbing & making the odd scrape in mid/late Sept here, I always believed more because of shorter days than weather temps. It'll be interesting to see if the cooler temps last, & if they have an effect on pre-rut activity here too.

Less than 2 weeks till our bow opener, I can hardly wait!!
Old 08-24-2004, 11:02 PM

I did some scouting today and built a natural ground blind while I was out there. At least one big buck moving around in there. Will go in a couple of days and take a look at the area they start rubbing in. I know i didn't ecpect to see that track in there yet.

=keith=
Old 08-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Signs of an early fall/winter here for sure. Bucks are acting weird. I saw a nice Buck in broad daylight sniffin after a young doe earlier this week while taking my morning hike.

Yotes are starting to change, leaves are turning on trees and leaving the plants that lose them yearly. A friend up in Idaho told me that the hares are already changing to their winter white coats and temps are dropping.

Not to mention the Sun sure seems to me that it has been rising further North than it should be.