Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

[Deleted]

Old 08-20-2004, 10:13 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Opinions of Byron Fergerson (sp) book?

Ferguson seems to have a system for everything--I've seen him set up for a demonstration, seen him shoot in person several times, and have his greatest shots video. No, he doesn't have time to "gap" (at least not in the convential way) on some of the moving targets, but he doesn't snap shoot by any means. He even has a method for the trick shot he does while blindfolded. He's a performer, just as Howard Hill was. Also a dang nice guy and a heckuva shot--he still has to be able to put the arrow in the right spot regardless of his method. Many of his trick shots are based on timing, and Wanda (his wife) has to know her stuff too when she's the thrower. Quite a bit more to it than meets the eye--a different type of magician in a way.

Chad
Old 08-21-2004, 05:21 AM
Typical Buck

I haven't read the book, but watched Mr. Ferguson perform & listened to him bash instinctive shooting. We had a debate about it after his show & I told him I couldn't blame him, after all, he's trying to sell his 'system' & quantifying something different would no doubt be detrimental to his livelyhood.

Call me instinctive, call me "subconscious gap", call me anything...just don't call me late for supper! Hehehe!
Old 08-24-2004, 11:32 PM
Fork Horn

I loved his book. Every time I start running into problems with my accuracy I am back reading his book. Always helps me get back to proper form (for me anyway) and refocused. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keith,

I think people look at these systems in black and white, either he is or he isnt.

Realize once you get to where Byrons level is, I dont think he is doing much split vision instead of more of an instincter approach on many of the shots. I am sure on some of the tougher shots like the pop bottle or some of the riocochet shots, sure he is bearing down and paying more attention to the split vision side the stincter. You can see this in the video.

Even if a guy was to start out with point of aim or gap, somewhere down the line they'd be to the point where they rely less on the formality and more on the 'do' of the shot. In this case, the point or gap, instead of the shot itself.

So saying folks like Howards, Ron L, or others were stincters is understandable. And to be frank some might just be as I am not sure what "class" of shooter Ron L consideders himself, along with a few others. However realize most of the great shots practice the formality of the shot more often the the 'do' part of the shot. Lots has been said about Howard. Just talk to someone like Larry Yien and you'll see he is not far from Howards regime. It maybe different, the concept still remains. These guys shoot many arrows for form time and time again. When the shots are there, they happen, due to many many arrows of perfection.

I had the opportunity to do some "wing shooting" with foam. My sister in law threw for me. She was the only one crazy enough to do so. She didnt throw high, although it was higher then Wanda Fergison, there is definatly some timing on both parts. I've been told Stacy Groscup is the man when it comes to trick shooting. I just hope to see him someday soon, thats if he hasnt already passed. Once you get the timing down, shooting something the size of a grape fruit or slighlty larger is really not terribly difficult. Put movement to something the size of an asprin is no doubt tough.

My only complaint with stincters is the slow and sometimes very low ability level some achieve. Many of them considering it acceptable. I've since gotten away from shooting in the stincter relm and have moved over to a more deliberate style. My shooting has jumped leaps and bounds, including completely whooping a BAAAAD case of target panic after a good handful of years thinking I "had' to be a stincter or I wasnt a true traditional bowhunter. I am sure you can be very good with the method. However after seeing what I've seen in the past handful of years, I dont think I'd start someone on the stincter route for the sole reason that they will end up there in a handful of years just due to time and effort, and they'll lead a better then avg level of shooting relatively fast. It's a win win situation imho. Sure you'll need to judge yardage for awhile and be quite good at it. I feel that one not so easy thing is worth the many years of frustration many achieve *not all* in trying to be a competint instinctive shot. Just my 02