Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 traditional bowhunting .. >

traditional bowhunting ..

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

traditional bowhunting ..

Old 07-27-2004, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default traditional bowhunting ..

well guys i see post other people made how they wanna start ... well here is another man rite here who wants to start im an average rifle hunter an always will be .. last year i tried compound bow but to be truesfull i hated it so bad you wouldnt belive ... well i was lookin threw cabelas bow book yesterday an i was lookin at the compound section an there a lotta money so i fliped an there is tradtional lots to .. so my idea is this can i get a good out fit of traditonal bow hunting for under 300 ... and how are you guys at accuracy an how far would you take a deer and such an such so let me know g uys .. few psted pics of soem stuff could help o and im 15 an i can pull bout 70 lbs compound im 6'3 220lbs can bench my weight and more so yea guys little help .. thanks alot
Old 07-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: traditional bowhunting ..

I don't know how much help I can be since I'm new too ,
but My PSE Kudu , a take down recurve , was $250 . I am a fair shot up to 20 yards , more in the vitals than not . I shoot without sights . This will be my first season to bow hunt .
Old 07-27-2004, 11:24 AM

About 5 or 6 threads down is a post "I wanna go trad, but how do I get started". There is a lot of good information in the thread.

However, I would like to answer your question on shooting distances by using information gained from a couple studies conducted about 15 years ago on bow hunting whitetail deer. Over the years I have made a notebook binder of interesting articles or studies. One study was on the loss rate of bowhunters compared to rifle hunters. It was found that rifle hunters lost 17% and bow hunters lost 17% of the deer that was shot or wounded. The same percentage, no difference. However, in the study, it was found that compound hunters had the highest loss of deer for archers, recurves and long bows had the lowest percentage (the combined percentage came out to 17%). The reason was shoot distance. Compound shooters take longer shoots. Recurve and long bow hunters take closer shoots. This study promped another study on shoot distance vs recovered deer. The study found that as shoot distance exceeded 30 yards, losses rose significately.

Now I will give you my opinion. Archery tournaments rountinely set targets beyond 30 yards for compound users. This has lead many compound shooters to believe that they can and should take shots over 30 yards because they can hit the kill area on targets. Hunting videos show people taking shoots over 30 yards and reinforces the idea that long distance shooting a live deer is OK. Targets are perfectly still, but a live deer is never still. It may not be walking, but it is still moving. A deer looks one way, then turns it's head to the other side, the deer's body bends and the shoulder blade slides over the kill zone. A deer is feeding. It looks still, but it moves one front foot forward and moves the kill zone forward. This may not be a big deal at 20 yards, but at 40 yards, it is the differnce in a short blood trail, or a long blood trail, maybe lost animal or a wounded animal that may not survive the winter.

The only other thing that I would recommend is not using mechical heads. When open, the blades are not layed back. They chop instead of slicing through the meat. Usually, mechical heads open much wider than fixed blade heads. Chopping and large wideth heads do not penatate well.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

6'3" and 220?? For a 15 year old nub, you be a hoss!

Main thing you want to remember is it doesn't matter what someone else's accurate shooting distance is. You gotta work up your own distance and hunt within your own limits. The first year, you might not be comfortable taking a shot beyond 10 yards. After some time, practice and experience, you might be able to stretch it out a good ways. But, when hunting, you've always got to stay within the limits where you're reasonably sure you can put that arrow exactly where you want it.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:19 PM

last year i tried compound bow but to be truesfull i hated it so bad you wouldnt belive .
Did you hate the bow or archery, or both, that much? If you hated archery and what is required to learn to be a shooter, that much, you might consider that archery may never be for you.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

i hated the bow not archery
Old 07-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I've also found compounds not to my liking ,
too many things to think about when I'm just trying to shoot . "Did I tune this right?" , "Did I tune that right?" , "What's the best sight?" ... [:'(]
Way too complicated and expensive for me .

I love the simplicity and just plain fun of shooting trad . Even if I'm forced to miss a day or two of practice because of work my first shot is usually right in the lungs at my comfortable range . Most of the places I hunt have trails and other set ups within that comfort zone , so I have high hopes of tagging my first archery deer this Fall . As an added bonus , my non-hunting wife has asked to go hunting with me ! It seems that she met some HNI folks at a GT recently ...
Old 07-29-2004, 09:26 AM

Kevin, what are
HNI folks at a GT recently
??

=keith=
Old 08-17-2004, 06:23 PM

you have to practice mutch more than when you shoot a compound bow so be prepared to spend alot of time flinging arrows. when you start shooting you will find a yardage you will be comfortable with and when you do that, you must disipline your self to take shots at this yardage. let me know what kinda recurve you are looking.ty to get a good one on the internet. Mike
Old 10-06-2004, 07:08 AM

I feel that you will really enjoy traditional bow hunting. I have been doing it for over 4 years and I love it, it is a way better challenge than hunting with a compound. I hunt with a Martin Hunter recurve w/ a 60lbs. pull @ 28". I would suggest use a heavy grain cut-on-impact broadhead this will get you better penetration. Magnus makes an excellent 2-fixed blade cut-on-impact broadhead. I use it to bag a 250lbs. wild hog with no problem. If your really interested in getting a bow. I would go to the bow shop and talk with someone who also hunt with a trad. bow and get there advice. Also try as many different bows as you can before you actually purchase one.

Hope that helps.

dead eye.

Quick Reply: traditional bowhunting ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.