Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Advice needed

Old 06-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Advice needed

Howard Hill did 'OK' shooting cross dominant...
As did Fred Bear...

Which longbow you got your eye on, Jeff?
Old 06-25-2004, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Howard Hill did 'OK' shooting cross dominant...
As did Fred Bear...

Which longbow you got your eye on, Jeff?
Several..depends on cash-flow...

I'm looking at he new Martin Savannah..we have one at the shop..nicest trad bow I've seen come out of Walla Walla in a long time. That's the go-to bow if $ are an issue.

Otherwise, I'm looking into a 7-lakes, Great Plains, Tomahawk (which I understand are made by Great Plains), Wes Wallace, Robertson Mystical (probably w/ overdrive), and a Great Northern critter gitter.

I prefer the more traditional look to my longbows, but like the added "cast" of a Reflex/Deflex limb design. If I end up with a bowyer where I have a wide choice of woods, I'd like a Cocobolo riser with either Red Cedar, English Yew, Juniper, or face grain Red Elm (natural, not stained) limbs...

Any other Bowyer recommendations from you folks?
Old 06-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't forgetChek-Mate. Another is Jeff Massey
Old 06-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Don't forgetChek-Mate. Another is Jeff Massey
I'll "chek out" the chek-mate Do you know how long avg. delivery is?...there's a few bowyers I would love to work with, but NO bow (IMO) is worth waiting more than 7 or 8 months for. Not even my beloved Morrisons [tangent] Boy did his prices get out hand..yikes..I still have a like new lefty TD Morrison recurve I got in 98'.gorgeous bow..ribbon bubinga riser, stained elm limbs..smooth & FAST..I wonder how much it would bring on Ebay?

I looked into the Massie's years ago...I popped by the website recently, but it hadn't looked like he had updated it in the last 4 or 5 years, so I wondered if he was still around.

What can ya tell me about the Chek-mates or Massies..any personal experience with them?

Thanks for the feedback everyone
Old 06-25-2004, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not sure about the avg wait on a Massie, but it's around 4 months for a CM. I'd suspect Massie is about the same.

Two things Shiner, Tx is known for.... Shiner Bock beer and Massie bows. (The bows are better than the beer, IMO. .)

I do have a CM recurve, but have not owned a longbow from either CM or Massie. I've shot several of both, the Massie Longhorn and the CM Crusader. I'd recommend either one. Or the Great Plains. Or the Robertson.

My experience doesn't extend to Wallace's longbows, or to 7-Lakes, Tomahawk or Great Northern. So many bows, so little time.

Might look at Randy Dehnel's Saxon Mongoose as well. I've had a couple of those and they're nice.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:21 PM

Holy cow I almost spit coffee all over the monitor Another stickbow convert.Don't let the bowtech posse get wind of this.Seriously, I shoot right hand,left eye dominate and have fewer problems shooting instinctive than with a peep and pins.Traditional archery is a blast.The morrison cougar and dakota are awesome bows.The martin savannah has got some good reviews as well.Good luck and good shooting.

CB
Old 06-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Jeff,

You thinking about shooting something pretty again ?

Sag.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CAJUNBOWHNTR

Holy cow I almost spit coffee all over the monitor Another stickbow convert.Don't let the bowtech posse get wind of this.Seriously, I shoot right hand,left eye dominate and have fewer problems shooting instinctive than with a peep and pins.Traditional archery is a blast.The morrison cougar and dakota are awesome bows.The martin savannah has got some good reviews as well.Good luck and good shooting.

CB

I was shooting sticks before BowTech was even born .

Honestly, if it weren't for my injury flaring up when I shoot trad gear lefty, I doubt I would have ever stopped. I would prefer to have the simplicity of a longbow for hunting. I like my hi-tech stuff for sure, but if I ever get to the point where I'm truly comfortable with my stickbow accuracy @ 20-25 yards, I doubt I'd hunt with a compound bow again.

Hopefully, for the 2005 season that may happen

As for the Morrisons, no doubt they are gorgeous, super smooth and shoot great. We had a couple of local guys who ran a trad shop in the late 90's and they sold & shot a bunch of Morrisons (before apparently they started getting super popular). I never did end up getting one of Bob's longbows, but I shot a ton of them. I had a chance to get a 58" cocobolo riser and english yew limb bow from the shop when they were going out of business that was perfect poundage and draw length for me ..but it was righty..so I ended up getting the lefty 'curve...sho wish now I had got that longbow instead, especially since it was only $500 or so at the time
Old 06-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sagittarius

Jeff,

You thinking about shooting something pretty again ?

Sag.
Sure am Sag ..I've missed those pretty bows over the years, and the itch to try it again has really been there for the past year or so..
Old 06-27-2004, 08:11 PM

If the Asbell method doesn't work you can use the Half Asbell method

Quick Reply: Advice needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.