Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Three fingers under or split-finger method? >

Three fingers under or split-finger method?

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Three fingers under or split-finger method?

Old 05-09-2004, 02:11 PM

Default Three fingers under or split-finger method?

Like many aspects in archery that has remained controversial e.g., straight fletch vs. helical, feathers vs. vanes, etc, so has the debate whether finger shooting three fingers under or using the split finger system. The finger method debate also brings into the argument whether it is necessary to tiller the bow according to the finger system used.

Forty some years ago, for a brief period I shot recurves with the split-finger system. However, through trial and error and some input from a veteran stick shooter, I converted to the "three fingers under" system. I have always been a good shot using three fingers under. However, if I were to give in to the other side of the argument and change to the split-finger method, all things say I would be an even better shot. I will not because the wheel is not broke. I will throw out some of the pros and cons I have read and been told over the years regarding the two types of finger shooting methods, and let the debate begin.

The reasons I prefer the "3 finger under" is:

1. The method puts the nock closer to my line of sight with the shaft and my bow hand. For me, this allows me to shoot instinctively, but to be able to "gap" shoot if distance and/or lighting conditions warrant it.
2. No pressure on the nock allows me to have a cleaner release, and eliminates dragging the arrow and arrow tipping.
3. I can get into finger position faster, especially when doing so while keeping my eyes on the quarry.
4. My anchor seems more positive and stable than when I shot "split-finger."

As for tillering to the finger method used, which was not a concern back then, being I do not shoot off the shelf and I use a higher nock point, I cannot see the value of tillering. Additionally, the system of tillering seems, as least to me, that it would rob some poundage from the limbs. In addition, I would be concerned that a limb or both limbs might develop a weak spot due to a faulty tiller job and start to "hinge" and possibly break.

I discussed this "tiller" and "3 under" aspect with the bowmaker who is making my bow and has shot recurves in competition and hunting for 36 years. He said he would tiller my bow if that is what I wanted, but in answering my question as whether it was necessary, he said that, for hunting purposes, he could put 2 bows in my hand; 1 tillered to my specs and 1 standard. At the end of the day, he doubted that I would detect much difference when shooting either bow.

What sayeth you to all of this?
Old 05-09-2004, 02:45 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Three fingers under or split-finger method?

I shoot split primarily because that is the way I started shooting--I was several years into it before I saw anyone shooting 3-under and it had never crossed my mind to try it. I did try it a time or two, but it felt too unnatural. I don't have a problem shooting instinctive or gapping (which I do on long shots--40+ yds) shooting split fingers. A big advantage to me shooting split finger is I don't require a tight snap, or any snap at all, with my nock to string fit. Most everyone I have made a string for that shoots 3-under specifies they want their nock to snap on so it doesn't fall off on a downward angle shot. I'm not sure what you mean by arrow dragging or tipping?

Either way works, I think--one may work better than the other for some folks, just like some folks shoot a recurve better, some shoot a longbow better. I believe Howard Hill, Ben Pearson, and Fred Bear all shot split finger, Byron Ferguson still does, but I do know some excellent shots that shoot 3-under.

On the tiller, there is a verly slight difference in a bow tillered for 3-under vs split. In some bows there is a difference in bow noise, in some very little to none. Marc @ Chek-Mate has done some testing, and the tiller seemed to make no difference at all in shooter accuracy. The fellow doing the shooting (forget his name, but it was a big tournament archer) even shot a bow that was tillered upside down, and there was no change in his accuracy. If the bowyer knows his stuff, there should be no worries about the bows durability with one vs. the other.

Chad
Old 05-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Hello
For ages I shot recurves split finger. This past summer I built a longbow, my first. I tillered it according to the info I had for three fingers(which I believe-off the top of my head- was both limbs having the same tiller rather than one being 1/8" more). I have never shot better than I do with this longbow and three fingers under. But this isn't comparing apples to apples since this is the first bow I've ever shot three fingers under and first longbow. So I don't know how it would work on my homemade recurve. But I didn't want to start experimenting when my shooting has been pretty good.
I think myself that three fingers under is gap shooting. You look down the arrow and when the gap seems ok you let fly. Looking down the arrow takes care of the left and right, so half of the battle is won.
Just my 2 cents.
Dan
Old 05-09-2004, 11:00 PM

I shoot split fingers. Always have. Tried 3 fingers under a couple of times and it did not feel right, but I probably did not give it enough time. I have come to like shooting self nocks much better than plastic nocks and believe I get a better release with the self nocks. I think if I was to go back to plastic i might put some effort into 3 under.

=keith=
Old 05-10-2004, 07:47 AM

I started out split finger. But now, I shoot 3 under. When I shoot split fingers, I usually develop blood blisters along the finger nails from string pinch. I always put a metal nock on the bow string on the top side of the arrow and a string nock on the bow string under the arrow. The under side string nock will help stablize the arrow and give better accuracy. The metal nock will clamp down on the bow string and keep the arrow from moving up the bow string better than a string nock.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:33 AM

Primarily, the finger method used may be more about what is more comfortable to the individual shooter than an accuracy issue.

It has been awhile, but I do recall that the primary reason given by the guy (coach) who promoted the "3-finger under" method back when I started was, (paraphrased) "You are already introducing problems by holding the bow and putting your fingers on the string, why compound the problems by putting your fingers on and around the arrow?" Made sense to me.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:12 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Lol--actually that does make sense! I'm just too hard-headed to tinker with what doesn't seem to be broken--it's taken me too long to get where I am, if I switch to 3-under I am afraid I'd have to start all over again![:'(]

Chad
Old 05-10-2004, 01:38 PM

LBR:

Don't fix what ain't broke.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been shooting traditional for over 40 years now and I shoot the same as Mr Byron Ferguson shoots. Three finger split using my middle finger as the anchor in the corner of my mouth.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

I started shooting using split finger and don't see a reason to change now.

Quick Reply: Three fingers under or split-finger method?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.