Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

off-season blues

Old 05-07-2004, 01:46 PM

Default off-season blues

Besides practice and shoot tournaments, what do you guys do in the off-season? I am looking forward to canoeing and camping on the river. I may finish the Osage Orange stave. I have made several self bows, but they have been disappointing, either with too much string follow or broken. I am not very good yet. Is the big traditional archery tournament in Chester, Texas this weekend?
Old 05-07-2004, 05:26 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: off-season blues

I stay pretty busy year-round fooling with bows and strings, but during the summer I try to shoot several tournaments and bowfish. Need to catch up on some arrows eventually.

Chad
Old 05-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love this time of the year.I don't shoot competetively but I go to the shoots and rendezvouz'-about 4 big ones and alot of local ones.At the club I belong to,there's never anyone there on the archery course til September,so that's a plus.I'm waiting on 2 new bows-one's due early next week and the other in a month or so.So that gives me plenty of time to get used to them.Also time to start building some cedars.Aint got time to get the blues!
Old 05-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

buy/sell/trade bows !

I also make arrows, crowned and crested, and I shoot a lot, some 3D. My hobby is bowhunting .... I don't have much time for anything else.

My training for elk hunt - running and weight lifting - is also a part of my hobby
Old 05-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted . . . . but then again it is the off season. I try to practice at least 3 times a week, but most of my off season time is spent camping with the family and training for upcoming triathlons. Seems to work, keeps me busy and in shape.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

triathalons lmao!

Lately been working out quite a bit and fishing my butt of. Looking for decent summer work and contemplating a possible grizzly hunt to get out of the house if gas prices dont get to out of whack!

I shoot as much as possible, havent made much for arrows though I've been working on footing some shafts. Strings for a few guys, shooting as much as I can. And really right now deciding how this fall's sheep hunts are going to lay out. See'n if I can squeeze in a caribou trip or three, and maybe some moose close to town on those few off days if things work out. Last but not least a far cry at a goat hunt this year. My winter work starts early october. Gonna see if I can back that up a week or two and get out for goats. Its been an itch i've needed to scratch for quite some time. Gotta do them while I am young. Can run elk, moose, turkeys and whitetails later on in life!
Old 05-14-2004, 10:00 AM

I been bear hunting. Lots of bears. Stalked a couple but the wind and my impatience have netted me a big zero.

I am on propane and it hasn't gone up.......yet.

Gas here is 96.9 cents a liter. A liter is pretty close to a US quart.

=keith=
Old 05-14-2004, 12:06 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

In addition to a lot of shooting, I'm trying to get in shape for a Colorado hunt this fall--which I'm finding out, is not too easy. I haven't excercized regularly since I was in highschool, and I'm definately not 16 anymore. Getting off the cigarettes has helped out though.

Other than that, there's a lot of water in the Fox River that I haven't had a canoe down yet, and I'm sure I'll find a carp or two to shoot in the process. There's a somewhat roughed out osage bow hanging in my garage that's been there for the last two years. I should probably re-introduce a scraper to that some day.

But if this constant rain doesn't stop pretty soon, I'm going to have to forget about archery and bowhunting all together and build an ark. I wonder if Noah was a bowhunter.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Fork Horn

Off season? lol Oh ya that would be July... Was out today with my little girl, chasing bears around (school? more important stuff to get into... ).

Hey Lil, the goat planets must be aligned this year, I'm seriously thinking on getting out for the beasts again as well. Should tie in nicely with the elk.

RC
Old 05-15-2004, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tuff,

Man I am really hoping. Got access to some "free" plane rides in amphibs for some coastel goat hunts. That said its highly unlikely its going to happen. Really was hoping one of the guys from here could drop me and pick me up again via boat, however that isnt going to happen as he was lucky and drew both a sheep AND goat tag (special hunts), back to back hunts to boot. On top of work starting up again for winter that first week or so in Oct, I can dream................

Quick Reply: off-season blues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.