Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Bear

Old 04-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bear

lcoast,

A friend of mine's son, who lives in Hardy, reported bears out over a week ago up there. With the weather we've been having they should at least be working the tide flats by now. I'm going to take a drive Jordon River/Renfrew way next week and have a look around. Fully expect to see a few "calling cards" on the road.

The call I used to pull the bear in was made from 2 pieces of cedar about 3" long X ~1" wide X ~1/2" thick, file or sand a bit of a hollow in each piece, stretch a piece of electrical tape long wise on one piece and then secure the other one on top by a couple of wraps of tape on each end. Kind of like putting a blade of grass between your thumbs and making it squeak. Cheap & easy and works on blacktail bucks too (just bleat instead of squeal)

RC
Old 04-15-2004, 11:24 AM

Tuffcity, good idea with the call. I will have to give that a whirl.

There should be bears all over the place here. But I just keep looking in my spots and for what ever reason, they ain't there. Last year and the year before they were in the skunk cabbage end of march in those areas. We had really late salmon though and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. There were salmon in some of the creeks in January and we did see bears then.

Bears are being sighted over in Parksville area as well. If I get some time this afternoon I will take a look at some different country.

=keith=
Old 04-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

To verge off topic a bit, but what is the collective guess on the size of this guy? I ambushed him with my camera while moose hunting last year and after the flash went off he decided to come over and visit.

Here's another one I took just before I dropped my camera, grabbed my bow and backed up the bank.

For referrence, that road is just wide enough for 2 pickups to sqeak by on.

(didn't think it was that dark when I shot the photos)

RC
Old 04-16-2004, 09:49 AM

He looks pretty tall. Not super fat. Wish there was something else to compare too. I would guess about 450.

I really dislike them brave blacks. Some of them are weird. I had to do a lot of yelling at one a couple of years ago to get him to back off. He knew what we were. Sucker had scars on his scars from scrapping. Kind of a Mike Tyson of the bear world I think.

Was gonna ask you Tuff, how old is your daughter? And what does she shoot?

=keith=
Old 04-16-2004, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Keith,

My daughter turned 10 just before Chrismas so she's elligible for the junior licence. (for any one reading this who's not from BC- a child between 10-14 can get what's called a junior licence which allows them to hunt under close supervision of an adult. But any big game they shoot the tag has to be cancelled off the adult's licence. They don't get a quota of their own.) She does shoot a 'curve but isn't strong enough to pull the 40# minimum required to hunt with. I bought her a T/C contender carbine last fall that she hunts with. We did some deer hunting after Christmas and was pretty cool to watch her on the stalk as the effects of adrenalin kicked in! She didn't get one but we came reaaalll close.

She's hooked

RC
Old 04-16-2004, 07:24 PM

Tuffcity, right on. Good on you and good on her. Man I hope she gets a bear. Doggone, don't leave your camera at home! Your wife must be a keeper too.

I drove about 30 miles of logging road and spurs today. Not one pile anywhere I went. You know how they like to pop their heads over the grass covered berms on the edges of the road. Lots of grass, lots of skunk cabbage. Maybe tomorrow.

=keith=
Old 04-21-2004, 04:32 AM

He's a shooter, for sure! A boar, from the way he walks; maybe 375-400.
Question is: did you let him walk or.......
Old 04-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

trkytrack,

we both survived unscathed. Hadn't bothered to pick up a bear for starters... After the last picture he finally stopped coming at about 10 feet, and I discovered you can actually stay at full draw for quite awhile. I was prepared to give him one more step before he wore 31" of carbon, who knows what would have happened after that... fortunately I guess he'd had enough of the yelling and turned and circled into the willows behind me. I quickly got my stuff and moved up the road about 1/2 a mile to wait for my ride.

RC