Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Horse Shoes and..... RECURVES? >

Horse Shoes and..... RECURVES?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Horse Shoes and..... RECURVES?

Old 04-03-2004, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Horse Shoes and..... RECURVES?

My neighbor and I are going to set up a horse shoe pit. I love playing this game and am actually quite good at it. Got me thinking - why am I good at horse shoes with only playing a handful of times per year and still suck with the recurve that I shoot more than playing horse shoes? Isn't it the same concept... sort of?
Old 04-03-2004, 10:19 PM

Default RE: Horse Shoes and..... RECURVES?

Basically they have the same fundamentals I would say. Form, no aiming method, and follow through are the mechanics at play here. I just recently gave "traditional" a try by purchasing my first recurve. I am now doing well enough to put all my shots into a 4"-6" circle up to 25 yards shooting instinctively. I only practice 2-3 days a week shooting some 100-150 arrows per session. It just takes a lot of practice and determination. It also helps to select a bow that you can hold at full draw for 60+ seconds before starting to shake too. At first I started out with a 65# bow and didn't do so well. I changed to a 55# and now I'm getting results. I hope to work up to a heavier bow in time but thats what it will take, plenty of time.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:52 AM

I think it would go back to your form. Maybe your shooting form is off with the recurve and you just have naturallly good form when pitching shoes. Some people are just naturals. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a great archer that stinks at shoes.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can still sink 90% of my shots from the freethrow line and regularly nock the bottom out of the net from outside the 3-point line, but I suck at pitching horseshoes. And, yes, I wish I could shoot my recurves and longbows as well as I can shoot a basketball.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I can still sink 90% of my shots from the freethrow line and regularly nock the bottom out of the net from outside the 3-point line, but I suck at pitching horseshoes. And, yes, I wish I could shoot my recurves and longbows as well as I can shoot a basketball.

Thanks guys for the input. Arthur - you know exactly what I'm talking about. How do explain this? It's the same for me and darts. I can whoop many people at this game. I just "have it". But when it comes to my recurve - some days, it's groups so tight I ruin arrow, the next day, anyone would be safe within 30 yards. Go figure.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

badshotbob - You might "have it" with a bow too ..... if its the right bow.

What kind of bow do you shoot ?
Old 04-05-2004, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Bob Lee Recurve. I believe the specs are as follows: 62", 68# at 28" draw. I figure with my draw of 31", I'm shooting at around 75#.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I might shoot recurves and longbows better if I'd had 12 years of coaching like I had with basketball.[&:]
Old 04-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

badshotbob - Just how big a boy are you ?

Do you throw 40 pound horsehoes ?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:40 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Try dropping to a 50-55# bow--I think your accuracy would greatly improve. Also, is everything tuned/matched up?

Chad

Quick Reply: Horse Shoes and..... RECURVES?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.