Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Shot a Harrison Longbow This Past Weekend... >

Shot a Harrison Longbow This Past Weekend...

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Shot a Harrison Longbow This Past Weekend...

Old 03-24-2004, 05:55 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Shot a Harrison Longbow This Past Weekend...

Finally had the opportunity to shoot a Jack Harrison longbow at the TBG state shoot this past weekend. Curiosity has been killing me ever since I heard about these several years ago--I wanted to see what the deal was. The one I shot was his "low-end" bow, only $800.

My curiosity is still burning, but for a different reason now--why do these things cost so much?????? It was ok, a typical Hill-style bow, no more, no less. Smooth draw, quiet, slow, and a noticeable "thump" upon release. Hopefully I will get a chance in the near future to shoot one of his high-end bows ($1,200+) and see what the magic is.

Chad
Old 03-24-2004, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot a Harrison Longbow This Past Weekend...

Same could be said about a Black Widow recurve
Old 03-24-2004, 09:06 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Well, to a point I almost agree. BW recurves are better than a lot I have shot in respect to speed, smooth draw, and durability (judging by the construction--I've never owned one long enough to know for a fact how durable they are). I still couldn't near justify the price, but it is more understandable than the Harrison. There was nothing special I could see or feel with the Harrison--to me it shot pretty much the same as bows that cost 1/3 or less.

There were two guys there with the new BW longbow, but I didn't get a chance to shoot either one of them--saw them on the course, but that was it. Really want to get my hands on one of those--no idea what sold the old style (other than the name), hear the new one is a big improvement. One of the guys shooting a BW longbow did take second place, but as always it was the shooter, not the bow.

Chad

PS you gonna make it to Twin Oaks SC?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chad - Man, each year I want to make shoots and each year I'm either strapped for the time or cash to do it. Theres an outside chance .... I'll email you .

BTW, I'll get my Assenheimer at the end of the week. If I like it, I'll get you the measurements on both those limbs and my Adcock and get an order in to ya. BTW, did you ever count how many bright, flourescent feathers you're going to spare me ? I can make some vivd "sissy" shafts with them for sure !
Old 03-24-2004, 12:40 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Cool--hope you can make it! Well worth the drive for sure, and it won't cost you a bundle--even have a free supper Sat night.

Haven't forgotten you on the feathers, just haven't stopped long enough to sort them out. Probably keep most, but I do know that there's several orange you can get. Gotta let my gal sort through the rest and decide which she wants to keep for her arrows.

Chad
Old 03-24-2004, 01:49 PM

Tell you what.

those new BW are awesome. I had the chance to shoot several of them at the Ontario Traditional expo this past weekend, and those babies are sweet!

Hope you get the chance LBR to shoot the new ones
Old 03-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Stupidcat, that comment was totally uncalled for. Didn't your momma teach you anything boy?
Old 03-24-2004, 09:06 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Aww shoot--I wasn't meaning to start a slamfest here. I admit, I do have a personal peeve with high-dollar bows, especially when I can find no reason for them to cost so much. Poor fellow like myself would be stuck with a hickory sapling if they were the only choice. I've yet to shoot a bow that, to me, was worth anywhere near $1,000 because they didn't shoot any better than those costing 1/2 as much or less.

The one exception I have seen (not shot) was a longbow that Mike Treadaway had at Cloverdale last year. That bow was, I believe, worth the $1,000 price tag. I have no idea how it shot, but it was truly a work of art--no telling how many hours he had invested in that bow. If I could have afforded it, I would have bought it to display--no way it would have ever gone to the woods........but then what good is it if you are afraid to use it/scuff it? Good thing I don't have a lot of money........

Chad
Old 03-25-2004, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

arrowsmit - you shoot an ugly Widow ?

(ps, the emoticon means the previous comments were in jest in case you didn't know)
Old 03-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

My apologies SC, it just took me offguard the way you pulled that particular make of bow out of thin air.

I honestly hope that someday soon we can meet & shoot some arrows. Maybe even a small wager (just between friends, of course), my BW against whatever stick you're shooting. A 3D style course would be nice, can you possibly make KK or C-dale? Maybe we could shoot thru there if you can? Whataya say SC?

Quick Reply: Shot a Harrison Longbow This Past Weekend...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.