Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

How Far

Old 01-04-2002, 05:50 PM

Default How Far

Was sort of curious. I finished a sinew backed Hophornbeam a few weeks ago. It's 60" long static recurve and pulls 64# @ 28". I shot it for distance using a 520 grain POC shaft and paced off 234 yrds. This is slightly better than a 65# Browning recurve I used to own. Has anybody here ever shot their bow(s) for distance and if they did how far did it shoot.
Old 01-05-2002, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Far

I have never shot any of my bows to see how far they would shoot. My practice has always been at targets or stump shooting to see how accurate I could shoot with it. Since I've gone to traditional bows, I have a self-imposed limit of 20 yards for range.

Bill
Old 01-05-2002, 08:49 AM

Obviously Bill very few people here try out their bows for distance from the responces I've had. I've been hunting and target shooting traditional/primitive for 40+ years and to watch an arrow sail into the air holds as much interest for me than punching foam or paper, this does not apply to hunting though. Possibly this is due to the fact that most every one here buys their bows rather than build their own yet even when I owned manufactured bows I was still shooting arrows in the air to see how far they would go.
Old 01-05-2002, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

There are a few here that build their own. Not many though. That to me takes a special kind of individual. Me not being one of them.

I have done some flight shooting with my store bought bows, but not much. There just aren't many areas here to do that without the possibility of endangering someone or breaking the law. Of the bows that I've owned and shot for distance (3), an old 50# Black Widow would cast a 500g arrow a tad over 200 paces; my 47# Don Brown all wood/bamboo longbow will cast a 450g. arrow 185+ paces and an old Shakespeare at 40# would barely cast an arrow of the same weight 135 paces. Fortunately, all three met California DFG rules of a bow being able to cast a legal hunting arrow 130+ yards before we can hunt with them. I havn't been able to try this with the 45# Martin Hunter, a 51# Chek-mate HunterII or my current primary shooter, a chek-mate crusader longbow @54#, but I'd like to.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

When I'm roving and stump shooting, I always shoot a few for distance. It seems you're shooting 8 grains per pound of bow draw, and IF that is a measured 234 yards and not "paces" or "steps" and IF you have any decent sized fletching on the arrows, then that's the hardest shooting self-bow I ever heard of.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:49 AM

John
200 yrds had been measured previously. The last 34 were paced out. I'm 6'2" and I was stretching my paces a bit so I'm pretty sure it is very close to the actual distance. The bow has a bit of reflex and that coupled with the recurved tips give it high early draw weight. It hums along pretty good.