Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

twisted limb?

Old 12-07-2003, 07:55 PM

Default twisted limb?

can twisted limbs be fixed.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: twisted limb?

Usually, but not always. First thing you need to try is 'bumping' the limb. String the bow and then twist the crooked limb in the opposite direction of the twist and see if you can't get the string to center up on the limb. If you can, leave it sit in the sun for a couple of hours to warm up, then lay it flat under a bed or something to let it cool overnight. Then draw it a few times and see if the string stays centered.

If that doesn't work, go to the tub and turn on the hot water. Run the limb back and forth under the water to warm it up and twist it opposite the twist again. It might take a few tries to get it right. That usually gets most of the twist out, if not all of it.

If it's still twisted, a bowyer might could fix it. No guarantee that he could though, and the fix would bring down the draw weight by several pounds. Really, if the first two methods don't get it done, then the limb is probably a goner.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:55 PM

Hi wulff I am definatley not an expert but most twisted limbs can be fixed if they are not real bad. If the twist isn't to bad you can try to heat the area where the limb is twisted with steam ( don't get it to hot,just good and warm ) then overtwist the limb back and dip in cool water to set the limb. Sometimes it takes a few tries but with a little patience you will get it. The most important part is not to overheat as the limbs can delaminate if you get them real hot. Hope this helps some
Old 12-07-2003, 10:57 PM

LOL me and Arthur must have been typing at the same time. Well good luck
Old 12-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Synchronized typing, eh Troy? LOL[8D]
Old 12-08-2003, 06:53 AM

What Arthyr P said. Only difference is that I use a second bucket of ice water. After letting the limb warm up in the warm water and flexing it to the opposite side of the twist I will submerge the limb in the cold water, this sort of shocks the limb into staying where you want it so that you do not have to sit and hold it till it cools. I have returned several bows to shooting that I never thought would make a comeback. I do this process without the bow strung. After straightening I let the bow set for a day and see if the adjustment has taken, then I will string it on the next day and let it sit for another day, if the limb stays straight then I start a full draw process whereby I draw it 1/4 5-6 times and let it set, then draw it 1/2 5-6 times and let it set. If you here any cracks or pops, it is best not to continue.
The biggest thing to remember is that this ain't rocket science, just try it. Just DO NOT USE BOILING WATER! I learned the hard way. Patience goes along way.