Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 My first Trad Deer !!!!!!!!!!! >

My first Trad Deer !!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

My first Trad Deer !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2003, 09:48 PM
Kip
Fork Horn

Default My first Trad Deer !!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it finally happened. I was able to get my first deer using the trusty Chekmate Crusader. Here' s the story, and a pic for you. Chad, I have more pics for you, let me know where you want them sent.

My days off are today and tomorrow. I didnt get to hunt this morning, I had to go to my buddy' s dads funneral. The weather was cold, and spitting snow all day. At 4:30pm I loaded up the truck and made the whole 1 1/2 mile drive to my treestand. I havent hunted this stand yet this year, but had a good feeling about it. On the way in, I checked out the new rub that appeared in the last 2 days. A buck really worked over the wrist sized tree. It really gave me a boost.

I got set up in my stand, and all was quiet by 5:00pm. I had a few squirrels running around, and I could see a long ways in the hardwoods now that the leaves have fallen. At 6:30 I heard a twig snap to my left. I looked, fully expecting to see a squirrel. About 70 yards away stands a smaller buck. The heart kicks into high gear, and I begin planning my shot. The buck walked right towards me, and at 20 yards, ducks into the thick stuff and walks behind me. I sat there wondering where he was going, and I looked back at where I seen the first buck, and there' s another deer. I thought to myself, wow, what heavy spikes on that dude. When he took a few steps, there was a good background of yellow poplar leaves, and I could see he was no spike, he was a Hawg.[] He followed where the first buck walked, and ducked into the thick stuff. I could hear them walk past me, headed north. At 6:45 I hear another snap to the left. When I turned to look, I see the smaller buck decided to come give me another look. He walked right up to 3 yards from the base of my tree, and walked straight away from me.
He stopped at 8 yards, still facing away. He started to turn to the right, and I began to draw, expecting a shot. Thats when I hear a deer stomping its foot back to the left. I turn, and there stands the hawg, looking right at me. [:@] The hawg stomping got the other deer to looking around. The smaller buck turned 1/4ing away. I kept my eyes on the big buck, and came to full draw on the smaller one.
I slowly turned my head back in line for the shot, picked my spot, and released.
The sound of the string hitting my coat spooked him.[:@] He tried to duck and run, but he didnt move quite fast enough. The arrow hit him square in the neck, and dropped him on the spot.[] The big buck took a few leaps, and stopped, looking around. He slowly walked away. I look back at my buck, and thats when the adrenaline dump hit me, and I about feel out of the stinkin' tree. Sure he wasnt the big guy, but I dont care. I shot my first buck with my longbow, and life couldnt be better. Here' s a pic for you.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My first Trad Deer !!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Kip, Congratulations on the fine hunt. Meat in the freezer and who knows, maybe another try at the bruiser in some future hunt. [8D]
Old 10-24-2003, 08:37 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!!
Old 10-24-2003, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats Kip! I KNEW you would do it!
Old 10-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats!!
Old 10-26-2003, 07:07 AM

Congrats, Kip. You have come a long way since last Sept. when you were shooting right handed bows backwards.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:42 AM

Congrats. You lucky dog!!!!! Haven' t even seen a deer to shoot. And a buck at that

That' s a nice looking Crusader. Got mine ready to go, now if I can just find the deer, oh ya and the time to hunt!!!!!

What arrow and broadhead did you use?
Old 10-26-2003, 08:17 AM
Kip
Fork Horn

Ct, I was using carbon arrows [X(] and a MagusII 2 blade head. I promise by next year I will have the woodies flying good, and wont use carbons. Good luck on the deer.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:39 PM

Gezz I use Arrow Dynamic Trad and Trad Lites. Don' t even own any wood arrows. Oh yeah I have some wood flu-flu' s. So I guess we' ll both get thrown off of the site
Old 10-26-2003, 04:18 PM

Congrats!

Quick Reply: My first Trad Deer !!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.