Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Osage Staves

Old 06-22-2016, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Default Osage Staves

Anyone know where I can get a good Osage stave that wont break the bank. I know where plenty of trees are but I kinda don't want the wait the year for drying before I get to try my first attempt at making a self bow. I'm sure I could just go buy a bow but there would be something special about harvesting a deer with one that I made. Plus my son is interested in making one too so it will make for some great father son time.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.tallgrasswood.com/Products.html

http://www.bellforestproducts.com/os...ange-american/

I have bought some hardwood dowels from this guy for some projects, he has about all the species of wood their is and I checked my list and he does carry Osage Orange. Mostly he sells rods and dowels but if you call him I am sure he would make you a stave to order. Here is his e-mail address http://www.dowelsondemand.com/ His prices are really good but the shipping from Medicine Hat Alberta are a little stiff.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-22-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, I'll give him a holler. Its easy enough to come by here but I was hoping to get started on the build pretty quick. If not I may just go buy a Samick Sage and use it while I'll waiting out the drying process.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I just sold off 20. Cured and ready to chase a ring. Almost gave them away.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Let me know if ya get anymore. I still have the itch to get to making one although time has been short as of late. I still don't have any of the tools either so no hurry lol. I have plenty of trees to get one from out where I hunt. I could always snag one there if I could ever remember to take a saw with me
Old 12-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Heck, you live in Oklahoma, look around, you can probably find some Osage trees to cut a stave off of. Most of my staves come from Oklahoma or DFW area. I have cut a lot of them in South Oklahoma.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
Heck, you live in Oklahoma, look around, you can probably find some Osage trees to cut a stave off of. Most of my staves come from Oklahoma or DFW area. I have cut a lot of them in South Oklahoma.
Yes sir. There are several bois d'arc trees around but getting permission to cut on em is another task lol. I need to get my saw out the next time I head out to some of my hunting ground. Guess its takes quite a while to cure them aslo? How large of a limb would I need to cut off to hopefully get a good enough stave to make into a bow worthy of hunting with?