Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Considering switching sides >

Considering switching sides

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Considering switching sides

Old 10-12-2003, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Considering switching sides

Well, after spending the better part of 2 years trying to develop my trad archery skills I' m about ready to give up and go back to shooting compounds. I have to admit during the first I was more or less dabbling, shooting my recurve once or twice a week while still practicing with my compound. Then about a year ago I took the leap with both feet, went to shooting my compound once a week and since then have been shooting my recurve then my Crusader amost daily. Now after all the effort the only thing consistent about my shooting is it' s inconsistency. [:' (] I' ve read about every book that was recommended (Become the arrow, Instinctive archery insights, and both of Fred Asbell' s books), worked with other " expert" trad shooters, practiced under different conditions, etc. I' m just at the end of my rope. I don' t have enough confidence in my shot to make a clean kill and anything less doesn' t give enough respect to the magnificent animals we hunt. I feel somewhat defeated, but I' m seriously considering purchasing a new compound and beginning to prepare for next season. (this season is a wash since I was transfered to California in mid-August, too late to get started scouting, etc. here)
Old 10-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Considering switching sides

I hope you' re not judging yourself only by what you do standing in front of a target butt. If you haven' t gotten yourself a handfull of arrows set up with judo points and just gone roaming around in the woods, shooting at worthy targets of opportunity, then you don' t have a clue what you' re capable of doing in the woods. I know for a fact I shoot a lot better when I' m stump shooting than I do when I' m trying to stuff a half dozen arrows into a group on a target.

But if you' re determined to go back to the compound, let me suggest a compromise... something I' ve had to adopt because of my arthritis.

Instead of going whole hog back into the rat race, hit the used market and buy yourself an older wheel bow. Something 40" axle to axle or more and in a draw weight you can handle at 65% letoff, max. You' d be amazed at how accurately you can shoot a compound instinctively. The letoff lets you get back and really burn your concentration in one the spot you want to hit.

Asbell talks about shooting compounds instinctively in his Instinctive Shooting books. I don' t go his route, since I shoot mine 3-under and off an elevated rest, but it does work great. Last 3D I shot this year, I shot a 273 out of a 300 possible from the same stakes as all the other compounders, and won the class. Fingers and barebow against the sights/release crowd.

Obviously I didn' t have to contend with the IBO Big Boys at that shoot, but still... I was kinda proud of the win.[:-]

Old 10-12-2003, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

My hats off to ya! You gave it a valiant effort and realized it might not be for you. Glad to see someone doing the right thing and not out wounding critter after critter. That said I wish I could be their to help! If ya need a partner in AK let me know. I' ll take ya out anyday!!!
Old 10-13-2003, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

Theres nothing wrong with shooting a compound. Its the person that makes a good bowhunter not the bow. And we owe it to the game we pursue to use a weapon that we are good with.
I' ve shot traditional off and on for many years. This summer I switched to shooting three fingers under, what a difference in my groups. If you havn' t tried that method, give it a shot.
But again theres nothing wrong with shooting a compound. I build my own traditional bows, but I always look at modern components to do the job. New glues, fast flight strings, etc.
Happy hunting
Dan
Old 10-13-2003, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Arthur that if you havn' t done any roving with your bows, then you don' t know what you are really capable of with them. California' s hunting season is year round, so expand your apetite to include small game, add some roving and you' ve got a possible recipe for success. Besides, I can almost guarantee that the author of every book you' ve read on the subject took longer than two years to get to where they are with their shooting.

However, if you are determined to return to the wheels, then by all means do so. The main thing here is that you are comfortable in your decision and confident enough in your abilities to be the best you can be for the sake of the critters you are hunting. Oh, I think it' s important that you have fun too, so whatever your decision is, have lots of fun, cause that' s what it' s all about. Isn' t it?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:36 AM
Spike

I agree with some others. Before you give it up, go out and stump shoot a few times. When you get out there, forget about all that you have read and how all the experts do it. Pick a leaf, rock, or whatever, and nock an arrow, look at it, and without taking your eyes off the spot, come to full draw, anchor, and shoot it. Just let it happen. You know the basics, draw, anchor,release. Have fun doing it and you will develop your own style and way of doing it. You will find what feels comfortable to you and just keep doing it. What I' m getting at is to not try and analyze every aspect of it. Good Luck and have fun with it.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the input and support. I have not done a whole lot of stump shooting and I have always shot 2 under, 1over. I will try to expand my horizons before just giving up. It' s just frustrating. I want to get out and hunt so badly, but at the same time I will not go out there and risk wounding an animal. Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I tried 3 under only once, felt unnatural, but then again I had never done it before and didn' t give it time to feel comfortable. Thanks again for all the input. I will try some new things rather than giving in.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

dathein, you typed:

" I want to get out and hunt so badly"

Just go hunting dude! Listen, surely there is a distance where you feel confident in your shooting? Just head on out to the woods & remember to keep your hunting shots well within that range. Hey, it' s what we all do ' cause no self-respecting bowhunter will take willy-nilly shots at game animals. We owe more to our Creator than to haphazardly abuse his gifts! Only take shots you are VERY sure of, even if that shot is only 10 yds. Like the ad says, ' Just Do It!' You can still return to your compound next season if you so desire, but give it (" trad" ) a chance.

You also typed:

" but at the same time I will not go out there and risk wounding an animal...."

Sorry bud, but that' s part of the deal. Of course we need to act responsibly & do everything in our power to avoid any wounded loss, but if you bowhunt for very long it is likely to happen. If you can' t stand the thought, maybe golf would suit you better. Sorry, but that' s the truth my friend.

Old 10-13-2003, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

What I meant to say is that I didn' t want to take a chance of wounding an animal because of my shooting ability not being up to the level it should be. IMO one' s shooting ability should be to the point that there is a very high level of confidence that every shot will be true and make a clean kill. I know that there is always a chance that a shot will wound an animal, but those shots should be few and far between. But like I said earlier I will try a few different things rather than just giving up.

By the way, I do golf, just really badly.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:43 PM

A friend told me once, not to worry with groups or anything like that. He sead your first shot was the most important. I shoot 3 to 6 arrows a day. MY first one hasn' t failed yet. I haven' t taken a deer yet, but thats because I havent drew on one yet. Thats what I beleive anyway
my freind says it dosn' t matter if you shoot nikle sized groups at 30yds, what matters is, does your first arrow hit where you want it to? Your first arrow is the most important one. I believe that.

Quick Reply: Considering switching sides

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.