Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Form Issues

Old 04-05-2014, 04:38 AM
Spike

Default Form Issues

I recently purchased a Fred Bear Grizzly 58' 50#. Dated early 70's I was told. I paid $238.50 on Ebay (still not sure if I paid too much, but oh well) I got myself setup with arrows, Easton Legacy 2016 w/100gr field point, new string tuned by a professional and a target. He looked over the bow too and found no issues with it- straight limbs etc.

I've been practicing in the garage at 7 yards aiming at the blue circles on the bag. Once I started hitting the circles regular I turn the bag around to the deer vitals side, back up to 17 yards and pretend I'm hunting. 3 times out of 5 I'm hitting good vitals. The other two times I'm shooting directly over top.

I'm new to archery and my form is based on videos I've watched and advice from two people Ive met from getting into Trad. Archery. They are both opposite in opinion as far as shooting style and advice(long story) I'm shooting with a calf skin tab, One over two under. I have an anchor point- middle finger corner of my mouth. All my arrows are the same and brand new- cut to size. I'm trying to determine what is making me shoot high. I sometimes shoot high up close as well.

I'm trying to determine what I am doing wrong form wise when shooting high. I rarely shoot to the left or right and if I do I can tell my form is off or I'm not following through.

Any advice would be great. Like I said said, I'm new to trad. archery. I have gun hunted my entire life. So far I enjoy this and feel I am doing well so far. As a side note if anyone could tell me more about the bow that would be great. I would like to be able to hunt during archery season this year Sept to Feb.
Attached Thumbnails Form Issues-_12.jpg   Form Issues-_57.jpg  
Old 04-06-2014, 04:44 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The best video I know of is "Masters of the Barebow, Volume III". If you have the time and resources, attending a Rod Jenkins clinic is some of the best money you will ever spend on archery. It will literally take years off the learning curve.

Chad